Grill cleaning brush recommendation

GarciaWork

TVWBB Member
Hey all, looking for a brush/cleaning implement for the inside of the grill, not the grates. Had my first grill fire recently on my Genesis, and want to get the inside nice and clean, but I don't see a lot of talk about what people use for anything other than the grates. Open to any brand, doesn't have to be Weber. Thanks!

Hey all, looking for a brush/cleaning implement for the inside of the grill, not the grates. Had my first grill fire recently on my Genesis, and want to get the inside nice and clean, but I don't see a lot of talk about what people use for anything other than the grates. Open to any brand, doesn't have to be Weber. Thanks!
Hi I use a paint scraper or razor decal scraper to peel away the gunk inside the firebox, in the grease tray and on the flavor bars

I follow that with about 20 minutes on high or until the smoke stops.

Next regular grill brush on the charred carbon

Or you can use a wire wheel on a cordless drill to get the heavy gunk. Then the 2 next steps

I won’t use a grinder with a wire cup, too aggressive and potentially dangerous.

Hi I use a paint scraper or razor decal scraper to peel away the gunk inside the firebox, in the grease tray and on the flavor bars

I follow that with about 20 minutes on high or until the smoke stops.

Next regular grill brush on the charred carbon

Or you can use a wire wheel on a cordless drill to get the heavy gunk. Then the 2 next steps

I won’t use a grinder with a wire cup, too aggressive and potentially dangerous.
A decal scraper! Wouldn't have thought of that! Haven't used one of those since I took photos for a car dealership, but that is a great idea.

Glad you had a grease fire and lived to tell the tale. It looks like you've learned some lessons. Hopefully you won't have a second fire.

I second the scrapers and heat. I tried the drill and would not recommend it simply because the scrapers do the trick better.

Glad you had a grease fire and lived to tell the tale. It looks like you've learned some lessons. Hopefully you won't have a second fire.

I second the scrapers and heat. I tried the drill and would not recommend it simply because the scrapers do the trick better.
My beautiful red hood has some black marks, but after finally getting around to trying to light it today, all was well, so I think I did ok. I have done my best to get any and all the grime out, but there is still a fairly small film. Should I follow BPratt's advice and try to scrape the few remaining spot, then 20 minutes on high, and see if a brush gets the rest? I am pretty sure as of now, no fire will result after all the cleaning, but I wouldn't mind starting from as close to zero as possible.

The outsides of the hoods usually clean up pretty good with Windex or whatever. Your grease fire burned the burnable stuff out of there already. Just try to keep the inside cleaner in the future. No need for perfection.

Yah, I just use a 2" putty knife. Couple bucks at walmart. YOu just need to get the excess junk out. It isn't necessary to clean it down to bare aluminum.

I spent about half of today deep cleaning my Genesis II. Tore it down all the way, used a 1" and 3" paint scraper on the box, then a stiff wire brush then a brass wire wheel on my cordless Makita drill to really clean it up nicely. Used the same tools on the deflectors and flavorizers. For degreaser I used Simple Green full strength and 4x ultra Dawn foamy stuff and a super coarse scrubbie I found at Home Depot. I have to say, that wire wheel earned its keep especially with getting the flavorizer bars smooth again. Gonna buy a spare next trip to HD.

And I am whuupped!

I spent about half of today deep cleaning my Genesis II. Tore it down all the way, used a 1" and 3" paint scraper on the box, then a stiff wire brush then a brass wire wheel on my cordless Makita drill to really clean it up nicely. Used the same tools on the deflectors and flavorizers. For degreaser I used Simple Green full strength and 4x ultra Dawn foamy stuff and a super coarse scrubbie I found at Home Depot. I have to say, that wire wheel earned its keep especially with getting the flavorizer bars smooth again. Gonna buy a spare next trip to HD.

And I am whuupped!
Yep, it's a job alright. Imagine doing that to thirteen flavorizer bars!

I use the Weber triangle brush on the grates and cheap plastic putty knives for the firebox and drip pan. I have the 5-in-1 paint tool Danhoo posted for house projects and use it for tougher scraping on grills.

Back