Grill Cleaning and Maintenance

Tony-Chicago

TVWBB Wizard
Have a three burner spirit. (310?)
I keep it spotless after every cook.
I just got it back after lending it to my brother for two years. Oh boy. He loves his marinades especially on the grill. So I took it apart and soaked the inner pieces. Solid but rust on the bars and crud all over the grates. Scraped the firebox and removed the burners. surprised the screws came out easily. They are small metal type screws.
- what can I do to make sure they stay pliable, as replace and use anti-sieze
- any good way to clean the firebox.
- cleaned the outside with 0000 and soap not perfect but good. Any help appreciated
- should I replace the bars cause of surface rust or just let it ride.
- inside the lid could use a bit of clean. Any easy way to clean. Remove turn over and soak?
Other than that, just a few rust spots on the bottom from the tank being dragged there.
Appreciate the advice. I already soaked the inners for 48 hours to help with the crud. Again thanks.

You can replace the screws and really any bolt on the grill with stainless steel. And yes anti-sieze works well.

Firebox, I just clean it with a flat metal scraper, then you can use a very stuff sponge with Simple Green...No need to go crazy unless you really want it super clean. If you want super clean use an angle grinder and cup brush.

For the outside, give Simple Green a try instead of soap. If you're cleaning the hood and it's a porcelain painted one, then you can use a straight razor and Simple green and it'll look new.

For the flavor bars, I'd use them until they fall apart, then you can buy some nice stainless steel ones that'll last much much longer.

Clean inside of lid like I mentioned above with straight razor blade and Simple Green.

If you have a closed cabinet...that's where I would spend most my time.... clean it up good down there....sand down any rust spots and put a fresh coat of rustoleum. The cabinets are the worst part of the grill.

Why waste the $$$$? Nothing will come into contact with it. And given it's application data I seriously doubt it will do anything to help against dielectric corrosion,

I have no clue what that means but really that product is highly specialized (like the very expensive grease I use in KitchenAid mixer rebuilds). Great for intended application but useless to actually worse when used in applications other than it's design intent

Back