Greetings from the UK

Simon W

Hi all

I have a gas BBQ for general grilling as well as whats left of a cheap barrel BBQ for when i feel the need to burn something over coals. I have always wanted to try smoking so on Friday I brought a WSM 18inch. I have been wanting to get a smoker for quite some time and this is my first Weber product and am loving it. I had to buy second hand from eBay as they dont seem to be available in the UK at the moment but its in great condition and I can see it getting lots of use.

I also just ordered 20kg of heat beads so no more supermarket charcoal for me. Currently seven hours into smoking a pork shoulder along with potatoes and veg.
Cheers

Simon

Simon, WELCOME!!!!!!

Where about in the UK?

I'm asking because if you post that on your avatar, we can then click on it and see pictures of where you live. Likewise, you can see the towns/cities where we live. (not the actual house. lol)

Simon,
Welcome and I hope that pork shoulder turned out good! Here's my question for you, what are you making for the return of the EPL on Wednesday when the student takes down the teacher. COME ON YOU GOONERS!
Michael

HI All

Thanks for the replies. I am from Oxford and have updated my profile so it shows a location now rather than just saying the UK.

The pork shoulder was really nice but a bit drier than i had hoped but with practice i am sure things will keep getting better. I cant believe how good the Heat Beads are. I lit them at 8am and when i went to clear everything up at 1pm there was still enough heat to carry on cooking and not all of them were lit.

Football is returning and im a bit torn to be honest. It will be great to get it back but watching games in empty stadiums isn't the same and I think quite correctly some players are worried and it could affect how the games play out. Im a Leeds United fan though so might not be as objective as i should be as we are top of the Championship and really hope to get back to the Premiership this year. Im going to do a beef brisket at the weekend as the start of the football in the UK coincides with Fathers Day over here. Definitely looking forward to trying it.

Cheers

Simon

Simon, thanks for the update, the pictures are fascinating. Have you looked at them?

HI All

Thanks for the replies. I am from Oxford and have updated my profile so it shows a location now rather than just saying the UK.

The pork shoulder was really nice but a bit drier than i had hoped but with practice i am sure things will keep getting better. I cant believe how good the Heat Beads are. I lit them at 8am and when i went to clear everything up at 1pm there was still enough heat to carry on cooking and not all of them were lit.

Football is returning and im a bit torn to be honest. It will be great to get it back but watching games in empty stadiums isn't the same and I think quite correctly some players are worried and it could affect how the games play out. Im a Leeds United fan though so might not be as objective as i should be as we are top of the Championship and really hope to get back to the Premiership this year. Im going to do a beef brisket at the weekend as the start of the football in the UK coincides with Fathers Day over here. Definitely looking forward to trying it.

Cheers

Simon
One of the conversations at last nights dinner table was about the players and their health and their concerns and who makes the decisions to go back. At a dinner table with a sociology/woman studies/literature professor for a wife/mum the talk lead to very similar places to your concerns. Her and you both have me feeling a little (OK a lot) guilty for how excited I am to get to watch English Football again. Leeds United have been fun to watch this year and I think it will be great to have a former Champion of the top tier back where they below in the top tier!

Hi Joan yep Oxford is a really nice city and there are some great pictures on there. Looking forward to being able to go into town again but will wait for a while i think.

Michael dont worry I am excited too although I sort of wish they had canceled the rest of the season and waited till August to start again. There are a few confirmed cases each week in the clubs, not lots but enough to be worrying. If it did get cancelled then Leeds would probably be promoted so i may be a bit biased but we have been out of the premiership for a long time and i would love to play Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United etc again in the league.

Im just watching the Aston Villa v Sheffield United game. The stadium is empty and they have put a canned crowd soundtrack over the top so its not as bad as i thought it would be. However VAR isn't working properly and a perfectly good goal wasn't given so at least that bit hasn't changed.

Hi Joan yep Oxford is a really nice city and there are some great pictures on there. Looking forward to being able to go into town again but will wait for a while i think.

Michael dont worry I am excited too although I sort of wish they had canceled the rest of the season and waited till August to start again. There are a few confirmed cases each week in the clubs, not lots but enough to be worrying. If it did get cancelled then Leeds would probably be promoted so i may be a bit biased but we have been out of the premiership for a long time and i would love to play Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester United etc again in the league.

Im just watching the Aston Villa v Sheffield United game. The stadium is empty and they have put a canned crowd soundtrack over the top so its not as bad as i thought it would be. However VAR isn't working properly and a perfectly good goal wasn't given so at least that bit hasn't changed.
I know that was a clear goal, it was one of those moments where you realize how much the refs rely on technology to make decisions.

Can you believe how much of an impact that missed goal call would have on relegation... Congrats to Leeds, they are back were they belong!

Back