Green Pork Chili

Some recipes substitute vegetable oil for kidney suet. However, not sure what volume of oil would be equivalent to 1/2 pound of rendered kidney suet.

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
However, not sure what volume of oil would be equivalent to 1/2 pound of rendered kidney suet.

It would be roughly 1 cup. (Note that for baking though 5 T butter = 4 T lard.)

David,

Along with smoking meats I also compete in both ICS and CASI chili cook-offs. Here is my "Red" recipe................

ICS Competition Red Chili

2 pounds Tri Tip beef, cubed
1 Pork bone
1 medium Onion(s), diced
3 teaspoons Cumin powder
2 teaspoons Red chile pepper, fine grind
2, 10 3/4 oz. cans Campbell's (NO off-brands!!) tomato soup
1, 14 1/2 oz. can Tomato(s), crushed
1 1/2 cups Chicken stock
2 tablespoons Ancho chile, fine grind
2 tablespoons New Mexico chile, fine grind
1 tablespoon Black pepper, Telicherry, fine grind
3 teaspoons Chile de Arbol, fine grind
2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Oregano, dried
1/2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper(160,000 SVU)

DUMP 1: Beef, pork bone, onion, 2 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp. ground red chile. Brown. Retain all juices.

DUMP 2: Soup, chicken stock, tomatoes, 1 TBS. each of Ancho, New Mexico and black pepper, 1 tsp. chili de arbol. Quietly simmer 45 minutes.

DUMP 3: 1 TBS each of Ancho and New Mexico, 1 tsp. chili de arbol, 2 tsp. salt. Simmer quietly for 45 minutes.

DUMP 4: 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. chili de arbol, 1 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. cayenne . Simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove pork bone and adjust for heatness and salt levels.

TURN-IN!!

Makes 2 quarts

Hello, guys

I know this is an old post but I cooked green pork chili last weekend and I have to say that was the best chili I've had in a long time. Thanks Kevin.

Alex

Hi Kevin, I am going to have to revive this topic, it seems too good to pass up. I smoked some pork butt this past weekend and figured to give this receipe a try. A few questions though, I am trying to figure out if the 2 lbs of green chilies are there for flavor, heat or flavor and heat (especially since jalapeno pepper is listed as another ingredient and not bunched in within green chilies). Lastly, when you state 2 tbls of jalapeno, I am assuming fresh minced jalapeno (roughly about 1 jalapeno) and not jalapeno powder? The tbls measurement is basically throwing me off. Lastly, if you were to throw in beans, is there a particular kind you recommend and when would you throw it in during the cooking process? Should I add more stock if I decide to add beans? Thanks for your help.

Erik

CHILI ARCO IRIS (Rainbow Chili)

Koko's own down home California Mojave Desert delight. This recipe ensures that you walk away from the table drippin'. Spiced just right.

10 pound butt all cooked and smoked (weighed prior to WSM'ming)

All of the following veggies and peppers are coarsley chopped with seeds may/may not be removed.

12 Tomatillos washed and peeled

5 chili Poblanos
9 Jalapenos
7 Habanero or Cubanelle peppers
4 Red Bell Peppers (MANDATORY MANDATORY)
4 Yellow or Orange Bell Peppers
5 White Onions

Chicken Stock
5 TBSP cumin
Garlic (aka Russian Penicillin) to your heart's desire
S&P
Chinese Parsley aka Coriander leaf

Sweat the oinions over a low temperature but don't allow the liquid to evaporate.

While they (and you) sweat with shear delight, cut up the rest of the peppers to your specifications - you may/may not retain all of the seeds!

After the onion liquid reaches maximum volume add the pork meat along with the peppers, tomatillos and seasonings to the pot. Simmer ever so slowly (slow bubble) for around 6-10 hours - like a braise. Should the liquid reduce too much, add some chicken stock to taste.

Sprinkle with some chinese parsley (aka leaf coriander).

Serve over a bed of rice and on the side add two heated flour tortillas massaged with butter and lard.

Looks very good (and wonderfully colorful) tj.

Erik-- Kevin (Stogie) hasn't been on the board for a bit so: The 2 lbs chilies are there for flavor and as much heat as you'd like--or not. You can rely on the jals for heat (if you can get hot ones--or you can sub serranos which are more heat-reliable). You can roast and peel milder chilies like Anaheims or you can do a mix of chilies of varying heats--Anaheims, cubanelles, bananas, jals, poblanos. The big deal is the pepper flavor and the flavor developed by roasting. The jals (or serranos) are fresh (I assume, that's what I use), and are there for their heat and fresh vegetal flavor they retain since they are not roasted.

Imo, white beans would be best here. You can use freshly cooked or canned. I'd add during the last 15-20 min. Eyeball the consistency; add stock if you think it necessary or remove the lid during these last 15-20 if you'd like it to have a tighter finish.

How do these recipes work if the pork is pulled/shredded instead of chopped? I am thinking of ideas for my leftovers from some recent smokes.

Bob

Pulled/shredded is fine. For best body, though, I'd suggest taking a handful of the pork and running a knife over it two or three times. The rest you can leave as is.

Just made a batch of chili (the original at the top of the post) and am enjoyng a bowl as I type. Very nice, although I think next time I'll skip the beer. I love beer, but for some reason I don't like the taste of beer in cooking. Guess I'll have to add the beer separately, if you know what I mean!
Also, the pork I used was fully pulled/shredded. I think it would be better chopped like Kevin metioned.

I made two double batches of this for a small chili cook-off that was a fundraiser for the local high school band.

I just bought an assortment of peppers that weighed about 8 lbs total - jals, anaheims, poblanos, cubanellos - everything that Publix had in the produce section.

Roasted the peppers directly over charcoal on the kettle.

Quite the chore to do all of the chopping, peeling, etc., but a great payoff!

I was the only entrant that didn't have red chili, and the only one that had pork, and the only one with no beans!

Got a lot of compliments, several devoted repeat samplers, and a few funny looks.

Some of my favorite comments:

"I don't know if it's chili or not, but it's the best food here".

"I'd like to strain this, then put it on a bun with some cole slaw"

"What's green pork?"

The chili did not place in either the judging or people's choice categories (no accounting for taste I guess), but I think it was too much of a paradigm shift for most of them.

One prep note: Next time I make this I will wear latex gloves while peeling the roasted peppers. I've had it burn when I touched a sensitive area with my hands before, but this is the first time that my hands themselves felt like they were on fire!

That is a good story. I've made this many times for clients, with many repeats for some. I had gotten two 33 pound bags of hots from NM, so expertly picked that there weren't any creases on the peppers. I roasted, peeled and cleaned them myself, and THAT was a chore.

One thing Kevin taught me to do to thicken is to make a cornmeal roux, and this makes quite the finishing touch, both in flavor and texture.

Melt some unsalted butter in a small sauce pan. Add cornmeal gradually like you would flour, stirring with a whisk, incorporating after each small addition of cornmeal into the butter. You will want to use equal parts of both. I think Kevin does it differently, I can't remember. Anyway, after your roux is cooked for a few minutes, add a little bit to the simmering chile incorporating after each addition until the desired thickness and consistency is reached.

Back