Green egg

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
wasn't sure where this post belonged so trying this location. A guy I know placed his older, medium sized green egg at his condo since he sold his house. I knew the renters and curious folks would eventually break it, especially when i realized the lid was loose. I see the lid is now gone, it came loose and hit the ground, shattering. I am being offered the egg for free, comes w/ a wheeled nest and cover but it will need a new lid which i'm sure is hard to find and/or expensive so not sure if it is worth it. Do any of you know where i could find one and whether it is worth fixing and how expensive it might be?

Several things:

1. The easiest and fastest (but most expensive) route would be to contact BGE Corporate in Tucker, GA and order a replacement. That'll get you going quickly, but.....

2. Given how the demise of the lid occurred, there's a good chance that you'll need additional hardware (such as the lid hinge. Check for out of round, rust, etc., and be prepared to buy - they are not cheap. Sometimes they show up on eBay.

3. Given the age of the egg - you mentioned it's an older unit - check the condition of the fire ring and firebox. If you have to purchase either of these, plus the lid, then your price approaches that of a new Egg, which comes with a limited lifetime warranty on the ceramics anyway.

4. Scour Craigslist and search for "medium Egg lid". They show from time to time, but not nearly as often as the large, since the large is the most popular size.

My advice?? Personally I'd pass on it. It likely has the old-style hinge mechanism. If it's a really old unit, then its best years are far behind it, and will be much more of a money pit than you're prepared for. Wait for a complete unit on Craigslist ....... they generally go for $400-$500 for a complete good used Medium here in metro Atlanta. I only paid $400 for my large last summer ........... which MAY have been used 5 times.

Register on the BGE forum and post a question asking if anyone has a lid, in one piece or a broken but repairable one.

If you have room in your garage, take the Egg, store it, and wait for fortune to put a lid in your path.

Bill

Last edited:
If the original owner registered the egg the Mothership may cover under their lifetime warranty. Know of a couple of times even when not registered BGE corporate covered the egg. Excellent customer service

If the original owner registered the egg the Mothership may cover under their lifetime warranty. Know of a couple of times even when not registered BGE corporate covered the egg. Excellent customer service

They would probably cover it if it cracked from the heat, but not if it was dropped. However, it's worth a try, I guess.

Bill

Take the Egg, just to keep it from getting further destroyed. A new lid will for a Medium will run @$200<> and you can order it and have it delivered to your nearest dealer and save $$$ on shipping. If you don't want it for yourself just list it on CL and it will disappear quickly.

Thanks for the input. i contacted BGE and they won't cover under warranty unless the product was registered, receipt is provided, etc. However, a new med lid is 131 dollars plus 30 for shipping and another 18 for new gaskets. So, for a total investment of 200, i could have an egg and nest plus egg cover. If the hinge is messed up, I could be in for another 50 bucks or so. I'm not sure if i'm going to mess w/ it or not, haven't decided but apprec the posts

Not a bad deal if everything else is in good shape.

I bought a fixer upper Weber Performer a couple years ago......needed a bunch of stuff, it was fun to piece it all together and it's still going strong.

Even if you put $250 into it, and decided to sale it, you can sale it on CL for $400-$500.. it a win win
but since you have it, try it.. I bet you will like it!

I bought a used Acorn Kamado and love it.. now wanting a green egg..

Can't beat the price. An egg for less than the price of a WSM, has to be worth trying.

Yeah but it's a good one W Tyler....I'm planning on resurrecting this again in 1-3-2015

I would do it. I've read really good things about them and 250 for one would not be a bad price.

I am so sorry.. I didn't know I resurrected a post that was a about a year old...
its all good Khanh...I'd like to know what is decision was...plus one of these days i wouldn't mind adding a BGE XL or a Kamado Joe to my cooking arsenal.

Wow... I never knew this was an older post as well! I was right into this thread waiting to see what happened!

Personally, without know what happened, I would have taken it and make the repairs, etc...

So curious now!

CM

Back