Green Egg or WSM, same price?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Which of the two would you get, a Large Green Egg with table stand, used but in nice condition or a new WSM, assuming you could only have one and the price for each was $200.

Just curious. I found a mildly used BGE for sale and though have not been looking for one, thought the price was right so it might be worth trying but i don't know much about them. I know there is much info on the net, just haven't been researching or even considering one.

At that price you could buy the BGE AND the WSM, get rid of the Brinkman's,
and be still be way ahead of the game!
icon_wink.gif

i guess everyone felt the same way, including the guy who hauled butt over there and bought it, lol. It showed up on craigslist yesterday, i contacted him first thing this morning and he said it was long gone, sold in a couple of hours after listing.

Next time don't come on here to ask, just get it! Craigslist is like wild animal discovery, lots of people circling the prey!

that's the one. i'm ok with missing out on it, I'd hate to have to sell one of my electrics, lol

I was looking through the classifieds at work (on break of course
icon_biggrin.gif
) and saw a large big green egg with table for $450. So I called and left a message, didn't hear anything and figured it was sold.

A couple days later he calls and says he just got into town and asked it I was still interested. He took $400 and gave me an electric starter, ash scraper tool, tongs, spatula, and 3/4 of a bag of BGE lump. The table he custom built and is solid as a tank. He's a retired Deere employee and painted it John Deere Green. On the way home with the Egg I got some John Deere Yellow spray paint and painted the rims yellow on the dolly tires on one end. My dad calls it "The Plowboy"
icon_cool.gif
He also is retired from John Deere and says, "You should paint on the front 'Nothing Runs Like a Egg'" I told him that was goin' too far.

The egg is probably a mid 90s with the yellow lid release handle and is in excellent shape. There are two small glazing chips and nothing was cracked. I didn't know much about eggs but I looked it over for cracks. I checked the price on a new egg around here and they sell for $700. A new table for an egg is $400. While I was there I grabbed a plate setter for indirect cooking and pizzas. I cant wait to try some pizza!

I have done two cooks already. The first I did 4 ribeyes and got it up to 700. The second I tried a 5lb slab of untrimmed spares( I was in a hurry and they were $2 a lb) and it held a solid temp of 250 at the dome with the vents just cracked a little, about 1/8"-1/4" for seven hours. This is my first time using lump and I like the fact that there is hardly any ash in the bottom of the egg after two cooks.

Their website doesn't even compare to this one! Its not very user friendly and the terminology (Trolls, Mothership, etc) in my opinion is very lame.

Buyer Beware on a used Egg! There are a lot of old clay Kamados that are often mistaken for a Big Green Egg! You can see them on craigslist or E-bay anytime. The claypots may look like a BGE, but don't perform as one. A BGE you would fill with lump to the fire ring and let it rip, an Imperial Kamado for instance you would start a fire with @ 30 briqs/lump and add fuel as you cook, like stoking an offset. You can sear on claypot-you place the meats on a grill on top of the firebox, a BGE you just give it more draft. Overloading will cause the clay Kamados to crack. I rebuild Kamados as a hobby, and have even sold a couple Chinese "Big Green Eggs"
but I'm partial to the Japanese Imperial Kamado "Modern style" which I have a Medium and a Large and am currently restoring a Large Japanese Sakura Kamado and a Medium Japanese Hibachi Pot which are about 40 years old.

I also have a Large Big Green Egg that I found on craigslist a couple years ago that had some cracks in the firebox and bottom shell that I had repaired but ended up developing even larger cracks to the shell and I can tell you that the BGE is harder to repair than any of the Kamados I've worked on. JB-Weld is about the only Hi-temp Epoxy you can get around town and at over 500* it pretty much degrades if used on the firebox and if you use furnace cement the area needs to be very clean or it doesn't adhere very well on the ceramic surface. Even the BGE website admits cracks are inevitable and claims Hi-temp epoxy can be used but I would not recommend JB-Weld.

That said, just be sure to check them over thouroghly before handing over the ca$h! I had a couple good years of cooking on my Egg and if the repairs don't pan out I'd be hard pressed to look for another used one. I think I'd rather have the peace of mind of the lifetime warranty on my deck.

Back