Green 1988 Genesis 1 refurbish

York

Hi All!

Thanks for all the amazing info on this forum!!!

I picked up a Weber Gas Grill at an estate sale this weekend. It came with two full propane tanks and a very nice cover. Figured the tanks, propane and cover were worth the $45 I paid.

Got it home and cleaned it a little and grilled up some amazing food, what a huge difference between this Weber and my charbroil...

Started to do a little research to figure out what model I had and found this forum. Looks like the only parts I'm missing is the condiment tray. Anyone know where I could source one or does anyone have a decent close up of it so I can try to fab something? Otherwise I'll probably just put some wood there.

About to undergo the cleaning (lots of elbow grease), maintenance and re-painting, everything is apart except... I can't get the knobs off:unsure:

Is there a trick to getting the knobs off? I thought they just came off vertically but they are stuck on there good.

Any idea's?

Thanks again!!!

Attachments

• weberg1.jpg
    weberg1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 39
  • weberg2.jpg
    weberg2.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 38
  • weberg3.jpg
    weberg3.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 38
Tanks alone are $30 each empty if purchased new. The LP in them is worth about $30 between the two. So, you already doubled your money there.

Best bet for the condiment tray is to find a donor grill. They are out there but not real common. Someone on the forum might have one they would be willing to let go of.

The knobs can be a PIA. I have never failed to get one off by just pulling, but then i have extra valves and manifolds should I wind up trashing one. The real trick is holding the manifold down while you pull up on the knob. Maybe trying to spray some penetrating oil in where they slide onto the valve stem, but then the oil will want to flow away from the knob. I have pulled/pried pretty darn hard on them and haven't broken or bent one. Maybe someone else has a more delicate solution on that.

Oh wait, I see you already got the control panel and manifold off. So go ahead and try to get some penetrating oil into the valve stems and lay it upside down for a few hours/days and try getting them off.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Hey Rich!

I'm in Kelseyville near Clear Lake.

I'll be down in the SF area later this month I think:unsure:

Thanks!

@York, let me know if you head this way (I'm in Redwood City.) I'll get you a couple of pics, too.

My daughter is in Chico (school), but I don't think I'm going to make it up there anytime soon (until it cools off!!!) ;)

R

@Rich G greatly appreciated, yeah it is to hot to do anything up hear in the afternoon, kinda miss old carl and the cool summers.

Will hit you up when I head down to SF area to visit family
(y)

Still have some staining to do and minor touch ups but I'm ready to start grilling me some meats :-)

Thanks again everyone for the wealth of information!!!

Attachments

• weberg4.jpg
    weberg4.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 17
@York if you use the portrait icon next to the three dots and drop in your images they will show up bigger and better for us.

That looks real nice, York! Nice view of the lake from your deck! Looks like there's even still some water in it! ;)

R

Nice looker. Too bad the little basket is missing on the right side. But oh boy grilling out there with that view. Ma che' BELLA!

Back