Great results on the thighs, but one more question

michele p

TVWBB Pro
Just wanted to thank those of you who helped me out with the chicken thighs. They came out really really good! They looked picture perfect, grill marks and all. I do have some questions though for the next time, if i may...

I cooked ribs 1st, Minion and a clay pan over an empty water pan. (Ribs were perfection
icon_smile.gif
)
After pulling the ribs, I opened all vents to bring up the temp, shooting for 350-400.
I put the thighs in skin side down on the lower and top racks. (Made a lot) Then flipped and cooked another 20 min.

I had trouble getting my temps up to where I wanted them. Even with vents open and I kept stirring the coals.? The temp only went up to 325 and stayed there.

I did notice when I went back later to the empty cooker, (the vents still open, as I forgot to shut them) the temp was up to 375 and the coals were flaming.

Should I have not put the thighs in until my temp went up to desired? Even though they came out really good, I think if my temps were high enough, the skin would have been a better texture.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Should I have not put the thighs in until my temp went up to desired? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, or somewhat past desired. This allows for a bit of a come-down when the meat gets added.

You can flip the door upside down (knob on bottom) and prop it open an inch to add an extra dose of air. This will allow a faster rise. (If time is short, you can add lit.) It's helpful if the thighs are at or near room temp rather than cold from the fridge.

Sounds like you had a good cook and a terrific meal.

Kevin,
Thank you so much for the tips. I like the door upside down, I would have never thought of that.

I must admit, I referred to one of your previous posts referring to skin side down, then flip for the thighs. That was the trick, thanks again!

I am not usually this obsessive over chicken thighs, but I am entering into a very small BBQ contest with 2 of my co-workers, and they have me in charge of chicken. I am least confident in chicken, hence all the practice and questions.
In fact, I only have my smoker since June, but win or lose, I am sure we will have lots of fun!!

I had remembered Bruce B posting sometime ago about how happy he was with his new method for 1/4's and thighs. Dug it up for you to read if you want. Congrats on the chicken coming out great and good luck with your comp cook. Bruce B's method for chicken

I've had trouble getting high temps too. I tried the door trick with moderate success. Nowadays I just crack the lid (offsetting it slightly). This has been the only reliable method I have found to raise the temps and keep them up.

Back