Grease Pan Rail Fix

JoeEspo

Hi All, Happy Weekend

I started to restore my Genesis 2000, last week. I pulled out the grease pan and checked out the rails, they were rusted. I ordered new ones and procedded to remove the sheet metal type screws. NG . I couldn't even turn them with vise grips. I decided to drill out the stand offs and tap the hole using 1/4 20 threads. The first 3 were difficult, it was hard drilling thru the screws. The last one was impossible, then the bit started walking, I mangled the standoff. I was distraught :( . I gave it a day. Then re-attacked. I used a cut off wheel and cut about 3/8ths " of the standoff just past where the bottom of the screw would be. I was then able to drill and tap. I cut off a piece of 1/2"copper tubing as a spacer. I notched the back end of the spacer to accommodate the slope. I am back in business :) . Now on with the rest of the restore. If it would only get a little warmer around here I could drag it all into my garage a start painting. In the mean time, I have a lot of prep work. More pics to follow.

th_CutOff_zps93dd7bab.jpg

th_Tap_zps5c118280.jpg

th_CopperSpacer_zps98b77389.jpg

Last edited:
thats how i plan to do mine. was hoping to find a ss spacer though. will probably get a ss bolt and drill a hole in the middle.
great job.

Yep SS or aluminum will be better. the copper against the aluminum is going to react (think battery). You'll have corrosion you cannot believe maybe even eat through the box before you know it.

You're a better man than I am. I tried exactly what you are doing and ate through numerous carbide tip drill bits until I finally bagged it. It broke my heart to take my old genesis to the dump. It did make room for another one though :)

OK, OK I changed it. I knew when I fixed it, copper was the most convient. I finally went out and got the goods. Boy these type of projects just nickle and dime you

but well spent regardless. i have more love for grills i get cheap and fix than ones i bought new. not a lot more but still better satisfaction for sure.

Back