Grease-eating dog food bowl

R. Ryan

TVWBB Member
Have kept fiddling with clay heat-sink ideas, with a primary goal of avoiding the use of aluminum foil. Liberation from water AND foil chores. And now may have a pretty good way.

clayheatsink.jpg

This is my 14 inch clay saucer from H.D., which fits almost perfectly in the top of the 2009 18.5 WSM water pan. Almost, not quite. The saucer measures 11.25 inches on its inside bottom.

stainlessgreasebowl.jpg

This stainless steel pet food bowl ($10 at Tr. Supp.) is 11 inches across at the bottom and just over 14 inches across at the top. Grease can be cleaned out with a paper towel then the pan put in the dishwasher. The grease pan is four inches tall, and should handle any grease load I can throw at it, unlike a foiled saucer in some situations.

grillandgreasebowl.jpg

Here is the view of the setup through the top cooking grill. When I want to do a high temp cook with no heat sink I can fit the grease bowl directly over the top of the empty WSM water pan, again avoiding extra chores.

------------------------

"Klaatu barada nikto..."

wehasallyourbase.jpg

Meanwhile, I have used contractor bags with success to protect the WSM from expected heavy rains and random tree debris or dust. Working just fine so far. Easy on and off.

Better hope your WSM doesn't go all Gort on you and starts shooting laser beams out its top vent because invoked the fateful phrase. Hopefully you and I are not the only ones that got that.......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hopefully you and I are not the only ones that got that....... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, your not the only two. It's been one of my favorite moveis since it scared the cr@p
icon_eek.gif
out me when I was just a kid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kit_R:
Better hope your WSM doesn't go all Gort on you and starts shooting laser beams out its top vent because invoked the fateful phrase. Hopefully you and I are not the only ones that got that....... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I first used "WE HAS ALL YOUR BASES" but then went with the 50 years earlier phrase. I resisted temptation to enhance the bag with a face made via freezer tape.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i'm assuming that you put the dog dish over the clay saucer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I just set the bowl into the saucer. Has a little room to spare. The bowl is not heavy, but weighs enough to stay put. I took the saucer's inside floor measurements then went to the store to do some measuring. Found two bowls that fit, and chose this one. Once I soap the tag off I can call this a "stainless steel mod for WSM"
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LDThornton:
Looks like you could put charcoal briquettes in it and turn your smoker into a grill. What do you think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, interesting. Though the smoke from the grease that close would not be desirable on the food, I would think. I have a gas fueled Q across the yard for grilling too. Dogs and cats are attracted to the WSM while in use anyway, I hope they do not catch sight of the bowl...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R. Ryan:

I first used "WE HAS ALL YOUR BASES" but then went with the 50 years earlier phrase. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you mean "All Your Butts Are Belong To Us"?
icon_biggrin.gif

Back