Gravity feed charcoal grill

FWIW..... I built a 5 tray (25"x28") gravity fed charcoal smoker a year & a half ago. It weighs about 1,200 lbs, walls are all 2" thick, fully insulated with rock wool insulation, and it burns 1-2 lbs. of charcoal per hour. The door alone weighs a couple of hundred lbs, and I can open & close it with the small finger on either hand. Even at -6 F, it doesn't radiate enough heat out the bottom to melt snow underneath. Temperature range is from 175-200 F at the low end, it'll easily go up to 400 F, and probably higher (at the risk of warping the door.) It does take quite a while to come up to smoking temps. I have a HeaterMeter (thanks, Chris, for hosting the HM subforum!) for it, it'll maintain cook chamber temps to +/- 1 F, with 3 food probes, and capable threshold alerting and control.

For me, this is just about the perfect smoker. I have a charcoal grill for direct hot cooking. The smoker will take just about anything I throw it it. I've smoked 2 full packer briskets, 4 pork butts and 4 quartered chickens at the same time. It's big enough that I should be able to smoke 10 packer briskets, 8 for sure.

The Masterbuilt is probably the most economically priced GF that I've ever seen. As I noted earlier, Masterbuilt equipment is IMO very cheaply built. I have no doubt that it'll make good food at least for the short term, I do question just how long it will last. There are quite a few other GF smokers available on the market, most for substantially more (the Masterbuilt price might cover the sales tax.....)

I have to suspect that the Weber pellet grills will have a similar fit & finish to the kettles & gas grills. That alone is worth quite a lot.

Yeah...... IIRC, you have to register at the site. Sorry about that, it skipped my tiny little brain completely.

I have some pics on my phone, I'll try to remember to get them posted on my webserver.

For sure, this style of smoker isn't for everybody. For me..... yeah, it's what I've been wanted for quite a while. A year ago in August, when 5 (or more) tornadoes came through here (less than a 20 mile circle would cover all of them,) this thing ran like a champ. I'd just loaded it with food for 60-70 people, and the weather got a lot worse than predicted. Power went out for just a couple of minutes, but it ran for 18+ hours without skipping a beat, or moving at all in the high winds.

One other side benefit.... I don't have to worry about somebody (okay, a couple of somebodies,) loading it up in the back of a pickup and driving away.

Back