grate temp vs lid temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick Moore

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello All-

Just got finished cleaning up after another succesful smoke yesterday - really cooked it all yesterday - had a deep fried turkey, steamed oysters and a couple of butts. Hey, a friend asked me to help at his party so I did my part!

Anyway, I have now used my ET-73 for 2 cooks - great cooking tool for those overnighters! I didn't hear the alarm once during my smoke (except when I took the lid off and the probe fell off the grate and out of the cooker!) - anyway, I have always used a Taylor thermometer in the top vent until now - this is twice that my thermometers have shown a big difference in temps - the Taylor read about 25 degrees higher than the ET-73 that was on the top grate. Seems like that is a big difference in temp for a couple of inches - does this seem consistent with everyone else's observations? I was so shocked that I took both of them off during the cook and checked them in boiling water - got 213 on the ET-73 and 210 on the Taylor - close enough for me.

Anyway, your experiences are appreciated!

Rick

Go to the "Tips and Mods" section of this site and read all about it. Looks like 10-15 degree difference is at least what one other ecperiance has been, but that was with water. You're experiance may be different if you're using sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back