Grate options for Summit Kamado

Jeremy Adamson

Any 1/2 moon cast iron grates out there that would fit in the summit?, I can’t find anything. Would be nice to set set up 2 zone cooking with cast iron for searing.

Not sure but the Summit does feature the swappable center for a cast iron insert. You could use the char baskets to help keep coals just under the cast iron then use the outer ring for indirect.

Looks good. Do you have the coals in a basket or sitting on the grate?, hard to tell in the pics. I have a vortex which would be another good setup for indirect and searing in the center.
When I first got my E6 I put coals on the upper grate. I then learned I was using too much coal in the E6 and then progressed to loading the char baskets (CB) only. And I’ve since learned that I only need 75% of a tall Weber chimney to cook most grilling dishes with in the CBs.

I like using the CBs as it makes recycling partially used coals into the chimney for relighting and adding new fuel above the partially used fuel.

Additionally, I found JD XL lump to be the best fuel for my tastes and style of cooking.

Feel free to search my photos in the photo gallery here. I try to well document my cooks for others to learn from.

I have a vortex too but don’t really gravitate too much to it. Dunno why but I’m getting the exact results I seek so far. But I’ll keep experimenting over time.

Last edited:
When I first got my E6 I put coals on the upper grate. I then learned I was using too much coal in the E6 and then progressed to loading the char baskets (CB) only. And I’ve since learned that I only need 75% of a tall Weber chimney to cook most grilling dishes with in the CBs.

I like using the CBs as it makes recycling partially used coals into the chimney for relighting and adding new fuel above the partially used fuel.

Additionally, I found JD XL lump to be the best fuel for my tastes and style of cooking.

Feel free to search my photos in the photo gallery here. I try to well document my cooks for others to learn from.

I have a vortex too but don’t really gravitate too much to it. Dunno why but I’m getting the exact results I see so far. But I’ll keep experimenting over time.
Good info here, I’ll check out your photos also.

Watch everything Brett does on the E6. He’s got it figured out. I bought the same CI center grate he did based on links he posted. It puts a good sear on meats.

I'm not much for the cross hatch sear marks so I just drop a Lodge cast iron griddle in the GBS opening on my WSC, put the Vortex under it (wide end up) and do a reverse sear in the griddle.

I'm not much for the cross hatch sear marks so I just drop a Lodge cast iron griddle in the GBS opening on my WSC, put the Vortex under it (wide end up) and do a reverse sear in the griddle.
Which lodge fits in and how exactly do you do this? What type of oil do you use?

Which lodge fits in and how exactly do you do this? What type of oil do you use?
Lodge 12" skillet fits perfect. Don't overthink it. Remove the center insert in the GBS and drop in the skillet. Still looking for one without the full handle. Charcoal grate is in the lower position and Vortex is directly below the skillet. I just bought an InfraRed thermometer. Curious how hot that skillet gets. No oil.. just a smoking hot skillet.

This was the very first attempt and I have since gotten much better results..
2021-09-19 NY Strip Steak 10.jpg

2021-09-19 NY Strip Steak 12.jpg

2021-09-19 NY Strip Steak 17.jpg

Yes.. that's the one I want. My local restaurant supplier had a HUGE Lodge inventory, but not the dual handle in 12"

Back