Grate Cleaning Tip

Joe P

TVWBB Member
Not sure if this method has been posted. If it has, credit to the poster. Here goes...

I've been cleaning my WSM grate the lazy way lately. Seems to work pretty well.

After I'm done cooking. I remove the water pan that I've foiled, deal with that. Then, remove the top portion of the WSM, take off the grate, and place it directly over the charcoal ring. Put the WSM back together minus the water pan, open all the vents, and let the rack burn off all the gunk over the coals. Next day, take a wire brush and brush off grate.

This method does a couple things for me.

1st, its easy
2nd, I use up the remaining charcoal
3rd, the grate is a breeze to clean

We had a party New Years Day. For presentation,I bought a #2 wash tub and filled it with ice and long neck beer of various vintage. Also smoked 2 turkeys.Turned out that the water pan and both grates fit in the thing perfectly!! Poured in some liquid degreaser,covered everything with water and left it alone. Went back in the afternoon and hosed everything off.

I don't clean either. I burn off the grates with any excess charcoal. The only "cleaning" I do is to take a wadded up ball of aluminum foil and periodically knock off the black flaky bits from the underside of the dome lid.

Back