Grass-fed Scottish Highland beef for Pastrami?

Question for those familiar with grass-fed brisket: how well will this work for pastrami? The beef in question is Scottish highland beef from this source.

Bonus pastrami question: Why is it that many delis steam their pastrami until tender, rather than have it smoked till tender? Is it because of ease of service? Or do they really like the results best that way? Or is it just that the commercial pastrami producers do it that way so the delis have no other option? Or some other reason?

To your bonus question...don't know how to answer other than to say that pastrami is meant to be lightly smoked, not fully smoked like a brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">pastrami is meant to be lightly smoked, not fully smoked like a brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realize that is the case, but why is it so?

Pastrami is usually steamed until tender. For me that takes about 3 hours. The same degree of tenderness could be achieved by continuing to smoke until tender, rather than pulling at 165.

Sometimes there's a very good reason for the conventional approach, but occasionally there isn't. I just am not sure I see the advantage in this case.

David,

I think steamers are traditionally used for a number of reasons; the biggest is probably convenience. In a commercial environment, it is easier to operate a steamer to prepare the meat for service. Logistically, going from a smoker, to slicing for service would be cumbersome. Virtually any restaurant could have a steamer, but not all restaurants could have a smoker. Some restaurants smoke their own pastrami, but I'm sure many don't. They just buy a pre-smoked product and then steam. A steamer preps the meat for service in that it both warms it and adds a little moisture, at least to the exterior. The steamer also can hold the meat until an order is placed. Technically, the meat is cooked once it is smoked as most smoke to a temp of around 160 -170, but in a commercial environment, the pastrami can then be put into steamers to ready for service as needed. And yes, steaming for another 2-3 hours will make that cut a little more tender.

Oh, and the grass fed beef should be just fine. It probably won't be as fatty, and may have that grass fed flavor. I noticed on your link that the company finishes the cattle with grain, so you may not notice a difference.

Paul

Paul is correct as to the reasons for steaming, and to the possible flavor. If the Highlands are grain-finished there might be no difference in flavor at all, and might even be fattier than expected, depending on how long they finish.

The real question is whether or not the Scottish beef was haggis fed or not. If they were on a 100% haggis diet, then it won't work for pastrami which is a Jewish dish, but otherwise it should be all right. ;-)

Back