Got my forshner knife today.

DennisM

TVWBB Pro
Impressed with it..have not used it but feels awesome.
Q) How often does it need to be sharpened, and whats the best way with this knife?

Q) avoid the dishwasher as with other knifes correct?

Cannot wait to use it..

What kind of knife is it? I have a 12" granton edged slicer that I bought primarily for brisket, but I use on most any meat where it will not hit bone. It has a black plastic (fibrox) handle that seems to grip my hand as I grip it. I love it!!

Every time I take it out of the block, I give it a few strokes with the steel. I hand wash it and it is SHARP!!

Of course, I only use it on a wooden cutting board.

The plastic handled ones can go in the dishwasher though I tend to hand wash mine and put it away, don't want it laying around in the sink or anything where it could get damaged.

Great knives I have 2 of them. The 14" slicer granton fibrox and the 12" cimeter granton fibrox. Mine are still razor sharp after 3 years (never sharpened yet) and I hand wash only. I'm amazed at how long they hold a edge.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
besides brisket (whichb is why I got it) what else do you cut with it? I am wanting excuses to use it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Awsome for Hams, Turkeys, Roast Beef or anything you want to slice thin. They are great knives for the money.

thanks Bryan..I will be trying them. It is a beast of a knife, larger, and more sturdy than the picture looked to me.

Ad, it was from knifeworks.com. It took a long time, ordered it 11/1 and it was almost 2 weeks till I got it. $38,and lik 4 or 5 bucks for UPS to deliver.

All of my knives with the exception of my paring knife (wusthof) are from Forschner.

I have a 10 in. Chef's knife which I use to slice my brisket, roasts, etc. Definitely planning on getting the granton slicing knife, it probably will be my next knife purchase.

I'm thinking of ordering a few forshner knives. Probably a 12" slicer and a 7" cleaver. I already have a couple chef's knives. However, I saw the cimeter and now I wonder if I shouldn't look at it as well. What are people using it for? I'm specifically considering the 10" curved granton.

I use cimeters for butchering and sugarcane. That's about it. A chefs knife will handle cutting a roast up, chopping, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg M.:
I'm thinking of ordering a few forshner knives. However, I saw the cimeter and now I wonder if I shouldn't look at it as well. What are people using it for? I'm specifically considering the 10" curved granton. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For Heads of cabbage, watermelon, lopes, squash...... I use my cimeter for slicing basketball size heads of cabbage into 1/4's when making homemade kraut. Makes short work of that process. Anything large you need to break down into manageable size pieces, the cimeter works great for that.
icon_smile.gif

Forschner (now starting to be labeled "Victorinox") are great knives all around. I recommend them all the way from paring knives to chef knives. Also they are cheap enough where you don't look so precious trying to make sure they don't get damaged.

Interesting. Just spent a lot of time going back and forth to Switzerland. Looked around for Forscher over there but never saw them. Maybe they've already labeled them as Victorinox over there.

Back