Got a beef bung...what to try first???

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Stopped at a local butcher / smokehouse yesterday to pick up some hog casings for chicken sausage this weekend and got talking to the owner about curing. Told him I was thinking of trying a whole muscle or a salami for my first try but needed a larger casing. He gave me two beef bungs for $6.00. Now the question is what to try for my first attempt. Any suggestions?

Also, with the chicken sausage...do you guys really add the fat and skin to the grind? It seems kind of nasty but I know you need some fat in the mix.

If you're asking about the wedylinmowe chicken sausage that calls for fat and skin then yes, include them. They make the texture of the final sausage very firm and juicy, and it wouldn't be the same without the additions.

About your beef bung: you may want to try to save yourself a little heartache. Make sure that your fridge works well on small-diameter salamis first before diving in with a large-diameter beef bung salami. Something that big will take 2-3 months to dry or more and if you don't have your conditions completely under control you're destined for failure due to case hardening or any other number of issues. It hurts to throw away 2 5-lb salamis because they went sour after 2 months of drying. I know from experience...

You can likely pack the bungs in salt, if they're fresh, and they should last until you're ready to use them.

I'm not trying to tell you not to try but I had similar ambitions when I first started curing and it blew up in my face a bit.

You could also consider making a large emulsified poached sausage like a mortadella.

Back