Goofy neighbors...asked me to cook.

Bill Berg

TVWBB Fan
One of my neighbors is having a 40th birthday party today. Last week they asked if I'd cook up some pork butt for the party....I gladly obliged
icon_smile.gif
So last night they dropped off 4- butts, 27# total. 2@ about 6# each and 2 @ about 7.5# each.

I put them on at about 9:30 last night. I had to get up once at about 3:00am when the grate temp dropped to 200. Other than that, I've been at a pretty steady 235-240 since. I pulled one of the samller ones off at about 10:30 this morning. It's now foiled in a cooler. I'm going to pull that one, chill and and vac seal it as we don't think we'll need all 4- butts (about 20- adults, plus there will be sides and such).

The others are at 184 degrees internal right now. We should be all systems go for a 4:00pm chow time.

I'll post pics when all is said and done.

Now all you have to do is give them the bill
icon_wink.gif
Supprise! Lol, I dont mind cooking for others but I like to pick the meat out myself.

Brandon

Glad to hear it's all going well. They owe you a case of beer for your efforts! Looking forward to the pics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Now all you have to do is give them the bill
icon_wink.gif
Supprise! Lol, I dont mind cooking for others but I like to pick the meat out myself.

Brandon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't too nervous about the meat. There is a great meat counter not a mile from where we live. I know the guy who does the meat cutting and he knew they were coming to pick up meat.

The only thing that worries me is that they are going to pull something out of the freezer thats been there since 2003
icon_wink.gif
People always say "Hey I got some roasts you could smoke for me." Ummmm, no...if you want something smoked I'll buy it fresh. You can keep your 5 y/o arm roasts
icon_biggrin.gif

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Glad to hear it's all going well. They owe you a case of beer for your efforts! Looking forward to the pics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Beer should have been given up front to keep Bill lubricated and working properly.
icon_wink.gif

Bill,

Not surprising that your neighbors asked you to cook after that Labor Day Weekend spread...

Looking forward to pics if they look anything like last weekend's results for you!
icon_biggrin.gif

Here's some pics...BTW, how many of your families think you are crazy for constantly taking pictures of food? My family thinks I'm flat out nuts.

Here they are rubbed. I use Penzey's southwest seasoning, garlic powder, minced garlic, minced onions, black pepper, cayanne pepper and some dry mustard;
Picture033.jpg

Just put on the WSM;
Picture035.jpg

Had some wind amd light rain. Had to cobble up a makeshift wind block;
Picture037.jpg

About done;
Picture039.jpg

The first one pulled;
Picture040.jpg

The pork went over quite well. I started with 27#. Fed 21 adults and about 15 kids. There was about 1# left in the crock pot plus the smallest butt that I pulled off the smoker early and vac sealed.

Bill,

That looks excellent!

Q for you, do you pull the one you vac sealed, or do you seal it whole, heat it back up (either boiling vac seal or in oven), and pull before you serve?

Thanks for the pics, this looks good! I'm gonna do another shoulder next week.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
Bill,

That looks excellent!

Q for you, do you pull the one you vac sealed, or do you seal it whole, heat it back up (either boiling vac seal or in oven), and pull before you serve?

Thanks for the pics, this looks good! I'm gonna do another shoulder next week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Alan!!!

I pull it right of way while it's hot, spread it on a baking sheet and throw it in the freezer for a bit so it cools down real fast. Then I vac seal.

There's nothing better than when you have a craving for some pork than to go to the freezer, pull out a bag of pork, throw it in some hot water and enjoy. Pulled pork in like 20- minutes
icon_biggrin.gif

Back