Good turkey skin, but a little too sweet (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred S

TVWBB Member
I had success with a crisp turkey breast skin, last Sunday. I apple brined a fresh bone in "3% basted" breast (the most natural I could find) for 36 hours. I patted the breast dry, and let it air dry in the fridge for 6 hours. I smeared butter on the skin, and added salt and pepper. No additional moping or basting.

I used the standard method, to get 3/4's of a ring of Kingsford hot, and then added some 'Real Flavor' lump on top. After the lump started going some, I assembled the smoker with all of the vents open, a dry water pan, and added apple wood for smoke.

The outside temperature was 69,? mostly cloudy, with little wind. I have a dial thermometer mounted thru a bolt hole at the top grate, and the temperature went up to over 450.? I added the breast, and the temperature started falling.

To maintain 450? over the next half hour, I had to keep opening the access door for a few seconds, every few minutes. The apple wood would ignite into flames right away, and would boost the temperature back to over 450.? I lost a lot of apple smoke thru the door doing this, but there was enough apple wood to compensate.

After 1/2 hour, I let the temperature come down, and inserted a Polder probe into the breast. The grate temperature settled in at 350? with all of the vents open. I pulled the breast when it hit 160? internal. Total smoking time was about 1-1/2 hours.

The breast was plenty juicy. I didn't move the Polder probe, but near the end of the cook, I used an instant read thermometer in several areas. When I removed it the first time, a stream of juice shot out.

My only other attempt at this was a smaller 'boneless,' apple brined turkey breast. I brined it for 24 hours, and used exactly 1/2 of the brine recipe. I smoked it at around 325? the entire time and the skin was ok, but not very crisp. However, the overall flavor was more to my liking.

This time, I wanted to be sure I had enough brine to cover the larger bone in breast, so I tried to make a full batch of brine, but I didn't have a large enough container. Thinking it wasn't rocket science, I used all of the called for apple juice, but didn't have quite enough room to add the last 1 quart or so of water, out of the 3 quarts called for. The other spices were as per the full batch recipe, but I added some extra ginger.

In the end, it wasn't mushy, too salty, or too smoky, and overall very good, but it was a little too sweet for me. Not sure if the sweetness was caused from the more concentrated apple juice, the extra ginger, the longer brining time, or a combination of all three, but the skin DID turn out on the crispy side.

After adding the breast to the brine, I found I didn't need nearly so much brine after all. So next time I'll use the same heat, but make less brine, and follow the recipe proportions exactly.

Here are a few pictures...

http://community.webtv.net/pictures400/SmokedTurkey

Thanks Fred, that's a great post, and I really like the pictures. My better half has invited our Sunday School class over for a Christmas lunch during the holidays, and I think maybe a breast or two might be the ticket. How many can you feed with one of those?

Thanks Again!!!!

Pat,

I think turkey would be a good choice too. It isn't hard to do, and the breast doesn't take too long the day of the smoke. It just takes some advance planning to do the brine.

It looks larger than it is tho, because the breast is covering so much bone. Mine made two large dinners, and I sliced the leftovers into 10 pieces. I vacuum sealed and froze them individually, to slice thinner later for 10 sandwiches.

Funny you should talk about the sweetness. I noticed the same thing. I usually do just an herb rubbed breast, in an oven bag, a day or two ahead, remove the skin, carve, cover the pieces with the skin and chicken broth and let the herbs marinade the meat for a day or two...huge favorite at thanksgiving.
This year we had more people so I decided to do an apple brined breast too. Everyone always loves the one's I do at Easter. The difference is at Easter we don't have mashed potatoes or gravy.....big difference IMO, and my wife. We both like the saltier herb turkey better with gravy, but the sweeter one is better to us without gravy, and the foods we serve at Easter. There still weren't any left overs to speek of so not sure if my opinion was the same as others though. Anyway, just an observation....I think next time I will not brine an "enhanced" breast and use a rub when servered with gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back