Good sausages to smoke?

Mary M

TVWBB Fan
I've got a medium-sized cook coming up (beef and pork ribs) and thought I'd throw some sausages on the side just for nibbles. What sausages make for good smoking, and what temp do you cook 'em to?

TIA,

Mary, you can't beat Polish Kielbasa or Texas Hot links on the WSM.
I can't find any commercial ones here that I like, so I make my own. Besides being more fun to make, they taste a heck of a lot better.
Joe
O yeah, cook to at least 160 -170 f

Polish and Jalapeno Hot Links

My son is partial to the Johnsonnville Beer N' Brats I can get at WalMart. I also found uncooked kielbasa at one of my local grocery stores (Publix, but I don't believe they are in the northeast). Both have been excellent with some apple wood.

Originally posted by Mary M:
I've got a medium-sized cook coming up (beef and pork ribs) and thought I'd throw some sausages on the side just for nibbles. What sausages make for good smoking, and what temp do you cook 'em to?

TIA,
If you're speaking of fresh, uncooked sausages, you'll want to take them to about 155-160°F internal. If they're already fully cooked, and you just want to add some smoke to them, anywhere around 140° will do. See also Gourmet Sausages.

I did some fresh Italian from the local meat market a couple of weeks ago along with four racks back ribs. The ribs came out great, but the sausage was gone almost as fast as it was sliced.

Scott

I second the notion of good polish kielbasa. Good and garlicky and enough fat content to stand up to the smoker. Cook to about 155 - 160 degrees (use a thermometer, it goes faster than you think).

If you live anywhere near Baltimore or know someone who does, this guy sells the best!

http://ostrowskifamous.homestead.com/index2.html

I can present 5 or 6 varieties of sausage, but the mild Italian is by far the most popular. It can be visually appealing if you go low and slow, taking care not to burn the casing.

I like to get the uncooked ones form my local grocery. My favorite are brats and mild italian.

I am going to have to try the Jimmy Dean.

They do cook quick so keep an eye on them. I usually put them on the same time as my other food and have snacks in an hour or two.

Thanks for the info! I think, weather permitting, I may do a "sausage sampler" this weekend with a variety of fresh sausages: chicken, sweet Italian, fresh kielbasa if I can get it, maybe some bratwurst or knockwurst or whatever. Should be good...

I've smoked plenty of sausage, but have never had anything come out like the Smoked Hot Links I've had at BBQ restaurants. What should I start with to make Hot Links?

Jim

I would love to know what sausage is used at the world famous Kansas City Arthur Bryant's BBQ. It tastes like a kielbasa but I have never seen any in specialty meat stores at the size they serve which is about 5-6 inches wide. Of course when I asked they would not reveal their secret.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Joe C.
I have not attempted making my sausage, but I am interested. Can you give me some general advice or a link to a page that has How To ...
I specifically want to know how much time it takes, where you get the casings, how you stuff them. Again, I am green, but would like to find more information.

Mike,

I'm not sure where Bryant's gets their smoked sausage, but I get the same size Italian from McGonigles in KC. Their meat is fantastic. They are located at 79th and Ward Parkway. I'm sure they would do kielbasa in the same size for you. They ship as well.

Scott

Originally posted by Matt Savage:
Joe C.
I have not attempted making my sausage, but I am interested. Can you give me some general advice or a link to a page that has How To ...
I specifically want to know how much time it takes, where you get the casings, how you stuff them. Again, I am green, but would like to find more information.
This much more than a page but it's a pretty good resource.

http://www.3men.com/allyou.htm#Smoking%20Sausage

Bill

Back