Good frying pan

Stunk up the kitchen?
icon_eek.gif

I like to season at 250 - 300º and then raise to 350º near the end but 750??? Seems like you'd have to start over..

Bill

It was my fault. I made a not-so-good drippan with the cheap foil and not HD. The drippings started burning.

I didn't see anything wrong with the piece in there so I think I caught it quick enough to save it. Is it better to season at a lower temp? I think Lodge recommends 325-375 for 1 hour.

Originally posted by Brandon N.:
I caught it quick enough to save it. Is it better to season at a lower temp? I think Lodge recommends 325-375.
Cool
icon_cool.gif

I like to season mine at lower temps for a longer time. Think it helps to get the oil/fat into the metals pours more. Raising the temp at the end would "set" it. I could be totally wrong but this seems to be working for me.

Happy New Year !!

Bill

I caught it quick enough to save it. Is it better to season at a lower temp? I think Lodge recommends 325-375.
I do all my Griswolds at 350 inverted with foil underneath them to catch the run off. After an hour at 350º i turn the oven off and let them cool inside the oven till at room temp/next day. HTH
icon_wink.gif

I might have to try the lower temps Bill.
Season at the temps you cook at. IMO, one of the best ways to season CI is to make a couple batches of french fries in the pans.
icon_wink.gif

I like cast iron. Cool Someone here turned me onto Griswold

I love me some Griswold. I inherited some "camping pans" when an older friend moved to florida and gave up camping. It turns out they were griswolds and weren't seasoned (I recall them scrubbing the bejesus out of them after cooking bacon). I seasoned the biggest one, and its always on my cook top. I probably use it 50% of the time.

It amazing, you can almost see your reflection in the shiny blackness. I read something that stated old cast iron is superior to currently produced stuff by companies like Lodge because they don't sandblast the insides any more. Seems like such a simple thing to finish off the interior and make the pan so much more usable, can't figure out why its not done anymore. My guess is that enameled pans fills the niche of high end cast iron now. My Lodge dutch oven interior is almost pebbly.

On a sad note my Griswold has a slight wobble, which is apparent every time I cook on my electric hob. I can't imagine I warped it, but I don't think it's always been there. I was wondering if its possible to grind it flat, but then I'd lose the cool marking on the bottom.

Back