Good frying pan

MetroKitchen carries them, as do several other online merchants.

Your pan is case-in-point. Who better to introduce various manufacturer's wares to new or novice cooks than CI?

I dropped by B&N a couple hours ago to scan the new CI issue to see what pans they chose to review. I jotted them down. They said, "A 12-inch skillet should last a lifetime and cook almost anything. But does quality construction have to cost top dollar?" --but then they didn't test any 'top dollar' pans, claiming that "[m]anufacturers also sell skillets composed of up to seven layers, or with copper cores (the best heat conductor used in cookware), but these high-quality pans usually cost well over $200—more than most of us want to spend on a single pan." Fine. But since they are not testing the actual 'top dollar' pans, why ask the question?

And then this: "We chose seven skillets from leading manufacturers[...]" Oh, really? How many does anyone here recognize as 'leading'? The list:

All-Clad 13-Inch Stainless French Skillet

All-Clad Stainless 12-Inch Fry Pan

Calphalon Contemporary Stainless 12-Inch Omelette Pan

Cuisinart Chef's Classic Stainless 12-Inch Skillet

Gourmet Standard Tri-Ply 12-Inch Skillet

Miu Stainless Steel 12-Inch Open Fry Pan

Weil by Spring, The Healthy Kitchen 12-Inch Fry Pan

My guess is three.

While and the store I chanced upon James Petersen's latest book, Cooking, out last year, which I've yet to review. I spent an hour looking it over. Recommended.

And here I thought I found my next pan. I hadn't actually seen the All Clad yet so was unaware of the handle issue. And Kevin is correct, I often simple toss the pan as opposed to using utensils. I've also never seen CI before and was unaware of their poor testing. Again Kevin is correct, I have indeed only heard of 3 of those brands.

Back to the drawing board for me.

If you can get down to the Sur la Table in Freehold (at the mall near the racetrack, or the one on Manhattan) you can check out their pans (the Sur la Table brand) against the All-Clad. (You can also check them against the Demeyere, a SS-clad copper pan). I was able to view and hold SlT's pans when in Santa Barabara a few months ago. Liked them a lot but have not cooked with them.

I do know a few people with All-Clad that like them (they are not pan flippers though). At least if you go somewhere where you can hold a few pans to compare you can get a good idea of what's what.

I really like my All-Clad pans. I must be an aberration because I am a “pan flipper” and have no problem with the handles or balance issues. I have the 12 and 10 inch skillets, 3 qt. sauté pan, 3 qt. saucier, a couple of sauce pans and a stockpot. One is from their Masterchef line and the rest are either LTD or Stainless.

I find the pans well-balanced, very well made, are easy to clean and maintain a steady, stable cooking temperature. I gave up on Calphalon because they are difficult to keep clean, mostly because of deposits from the hard water we have from the municipal supply. My Calphalon Commercial hard anodized sauté pan warped in a 350 degree oven but it was replaced by the manufacturer under the lifetime warranty. I sold the replacement.

Since it appears everyone has his or her favorite, I would suggest trying to find someone you can borrow one from before making a purchase.

While we are talking about pans here does anyone have an opinion on Calphalon One? Is this 'infused' annodized worth the extra $$?

Side question, it used to be one wasn't supposed to use non-sticks above medium heat or the non-stick would peel. Have they fixed this on newer pans or maybe it's just low end Wal-Mart type non sticks this applies to? I'm really wondering cuz I can't see buying a non stick omlette pan and using it on medium heat. I do pan omlettes really hot.

That's why I have all stainless, much to my chagrin reading the above link about stainless being the worst performing media of common cookware materials, though, this was all acquired years ago.

Cheaper nonsticks do need temp limitations. Calphalon One is safe to 500 (lids to 450); their Contemporary line safe to 450. Cheaper pans usally specify 350 at the top end.

Their product lines are confusing. They seem to have Calphalon One Infused Annodized, and Calphalon One (which is also infused anodized)

According to this Calphalon website comparison, Calphalon One Infused Annodized is safe to ANY oven temp and with any utensils (including metal) and is brolier safe.

So it would be worth something to me ... not come home and have a cow because the kids made scrambled eggs with a metal whisk in my new pan, or be able to use the pan as a broiler pan.

I bought that 10 & 12" Calphalon Contemporary Omlette Pan Limited Time Offer pack, got it at LNT today for $44.10 tax in.
icon_smile.gif

You wouldn't believe this, but those pans would have cost me $195 from Hudson's Bay company
icon_eek.gif

I think I'm going back to buy some more.

Originally posted by Shawn W:
I bought that 10 & 12" Calphalon Contemporary Omlette Pan Limited Time Offer pack, got it at LNT today for $44.10 tax in.
icon_smile.gif

I think I'm going back to buy some more.

Hey Bud, I love those pans. I just bought another set yesterday for my Brother In Law for a Christmas present.
icon_biggrin.gif

Wow, first use of the Calphalon pans this morning. unreal

fried back bacon with no butter, the brown, that always sticks to the bottom of my stainless pans even with butter stayed on the back bacon, not on the pan .. the taste was really better

then I fried two eggs together with no butter, over hard

all they needed was a little nudge and they came loose, then I flipped them right in the pan by tossing, first try, all the way over ... brilliant!! lol, I have never done that before ... tried, made a mess, quit

I guess I'll have to see how they hold up but for first impression couldn't be happier!!

all they needed was a little nudge and they came loose, then I flipped them right in the pan by tossing, first try, all the way over ... brilliant!! lol, I have never done that before ... tried, made a mess, quit

teflon is kind of like a knife, when they're new they work like they should, and you got to know when they need to be replaced (or sharpened). A friend of mine refuses to pay for good teflon pans and instead prefers to replace them more frequently.

and instead prefers to replace them more frequently
that's been me for a long time ... buy el cheapos, when they start losing their coating chuck em out ... I really hope these last and perform a good long time with care

If you want "some" sticking in order to get fond(sp)for deglazing and sauce making is stainless the way to go? Do you get this with hard anodized cookware?

Paul

If you are buying Teflon coated pans, I go with the poster upstream. Buy the cheaper ones and replace when they stop working. You won't find a Teflon coated pan IMHO that will carry a lifetime warranty.

On the other hand the Caphalon and and the All-Clad nonsticks are not Teflon coated. They have their own proprietary coating. Lifetime warranty and higher temp limits. The All-Clad 14" fryer I have came with instructions that said it was ok to use metal implements since it is not a Teflon film/coating.

I bought a set of "Emerilware" pans at BBB. They are "clad" (private labeled by All Clad, I believe). For a 10 piece set, they are a great value at under $200. I mostly use cast iron except for saucing, sauteeing, and boiling, so these are quite adequate for my needs. I have 6 cast iron skillets in varying sizes and 6 various dutch ovens! I liked the Emerilware enough , that I bought my college aged daughter a set for her apartment!

I use Jamie Oliver line of stainless. It is made (or at least assembled) by T-Fal, which is a big business in our town. A friend works there and I get discounted price.

I like it. I would prefer All Clad, but hey, you go with what you can afford.

A lot of the stainless I see is really thin. I was in Macy's b4 Christmas and saw a set, forget which, that is thinner than the old Revere stuff I used right out of college in an apartment.

The Oliver stuff has some weight to it. I purchased my mother some a few years ago and she traded me a couple pieces to get smaller pots so she could lift them.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by RDOwens:
A lot of the stainless I see is really thin.

The Oliver stuff has some weight to it. I purchased my mother some a few years ago and she traded me a couple pieces to get smaller pots so she could lift them.
icon_smile.gif
Sounds like the Oliver line has the encapsulated bottoms on the pots and pans. I Love encapsulated cookware.
icon_cool.gif

I like cast iron.
icon_cool.gif
Someone here turned me onto Griswold .. Can't remember who though .. Well seasoned CI is great but requires more care than the others. Takes some experience, too. I tried to make some (mashed) potato pancakes in my #5 tonight and it was a total disaster! After cleaning, all of my "G" is going through a light seasoning tonight.
icon_smile.gif

Happy New Year !!!

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hey Bill,

I'm doing a light seasoning "sesh" tonight too. I was in TJ Maxx the other day and the Emeril CI 5-in-1 smoker was $40 so I decided to get it. Man its a beast at 27lbs. I also picked up the #12 Lodge Campfire DO a little while back and thats getting a seasoning too. I learned the last time and stunk up the kitchen seasoning.
icon_mad.gif

So I filled up the BGE with RO and when it hit 350, put the CI in and went inside for a few minutes to coat some more pieces. While having another Red Hook Blonde Ale, I pegged the therm at 750
icon_eek.gif
. Quick shut down of the vents and we were back around 400. No harm no foul.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Happy New Year!

Back