Good Commercial Sauce

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As this is my first ever post, and I just bought the WSM a couple minutes ago online, I have what is probably a tired old question:

What's a good commercial sauce? Obviously, I don't want added smoke flavor on my naturally cooked smoke flavor, but I'm just starting out and wondered about serving some commercial sauce on the side with that doesn't already contain smoke flavor.

Some that I like:

- Stubb's available in Texas, possibly elsewhere, a nice and tangy traditional TX BBQ sauce (their Mop'n Sauce is also good)
- Bulls Eye, nice when I want sweet and thick
- Sweet Baby Ray's normal and also honey, similar to Bulls Eye
- Kraft spicy honey, don't laugh it's pretty good and gets the most compliments when served with baby backs, I like to add a bit of beer to it and baste with it last 5 minutes of cooking over a hot direct fire, it's also really cheap, another good application of this and the Baby Ray's honey is on chicken drumettes

I'll second Stubb's. It's available in Ohio so it's probably available nationwide. I'd also add Bone Suckin' Sauce to the list. Great stuff. Even the Jack Daniels line is pretty decent.

I got some Stubb's last weekend and it's very good. Available at our local Food Lion here in VA.

Bone Suckin' is next on my list. I'll have to order that via net though.

So I went on the Stubbs site and was reading and found the following:

Tender turkey breast smoked for 16 hours, and sliced juicy and tender.

Does anyone think that 16 hours for turkey breast is true?

I too like Stubbs as it is widely avaiable here in pennsylvania as well.

I'm a Stubb's fan as well, and it's sold here in Northern California.

I've become a Stubb's fan too, but all I can find is the mopping sauce.

Made some ribs yesterday and tried mixing Sweet Baby Ray's with Bone Suckin' Sauce - FANTASTIC! (I then decided to add some honey and screwed it up.) Keep the honey out of it and this was a real nice mixture!

Looks like Stubbs is real popular! We can get it in So. California so it surely must be in Las Vegas.

Gotta try that Stubb's! Appreciate everyones' input! I checked out Stubb's at the local supermarket and I'm pretty sure Stubbs does contain it's own smoke flavoring which, for personal reasons, I'm trying to avoid (the liquid smoke flavor) no matter how great it tastes. I'd like to find a widely available commercial sauce that doesn't have smoke flavoring. I want all the smoke flavor to come from my own woods / charcoal. By reading labels I've found virtually ALL supermarket sauces contain "smoke flavoring" or "natural flavoring" which I'm assuming is liquid smoke. Of course! How many people have access to REAL, slow smoked barbecue meats? Anyway, I'm rambling, better stop here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back