Good buy?

I have a red Genesis 2000 (which has a table to the right of the burner controls). That grill appears to be missing the pull up table that should be in front of the left table (no biggie imo). 60 bucks isn't a bad price for it providing everything's in good condition. Look it over, take the grates out and check them out, inspect the flavorizer bars and verify that the burners are in good condition and that they all burn evenly. Verify the operation of the ignighter as they seem to be the 1st things to die.

HTH

Bill

Thanks Bill. I ended up getting it. The flavorizer bars look a little caked, no big deal I guess. Grates are in good shape, and the burners look like they have been preserved nicely. Fires up first time, and seems to fly up to 600 pretty fast actually. Needs a little cleaning, but the side table was there, just not attached in the pic. He even gave me the weathered weber cover that has been on it since he bought it, and an almost full tank too. Are the flavorizer bars worth going through the cleaning process, or can they be replaced for cheap?

Turns out it wasnt really gas grills that were the problem all along, it was getting the right brand of gas grill. I cant believe how much more heat comes out of this thing compared to the char broil that I will be giving away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are the flavorizer bars worth going through the cleaning process, or can they be replaced for cheap? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
IMO, you don't need to get them spotless but try to get most of the build-up off. Most of the original equipment came with a baked on enamel (flavorizer bars and grates) but some came with better bars and grates. Mine had the aforementioned and they eventually rusted, especially the bars. I upgraded to SS flavorizer bars and PCI grates and they've been well worth the investment. You can find the original equipment at Home Depot and in some cases, the upgraded equipment can be found there too (or online). While going through this, clean the bottom tray that holds the drip pan. The whole tray pulls out from the front (it's under the cast body of the grill) It gets a lot of build up and can/will ignite when pre-heating your grill. This has happened to me a few times and the only way to extinguish it is to keep the lid closed and turn the burners off allowing it to burn off, unless you want to use your fire extinguisher. I cook on a covered deck so I keep an extinguisher out there in case it gets out of control. Best to just keep it clean
icon_smile.gif

Enjoy your grill. I've had mine since '92, I believe, and hope to get many more years out of her.

Bill

Back