Good Bark on Boston Butt.

I'm no expert either, but I've also read that slicking the meat with oil will help the Maillard reaction, and that white sugar is more conducive to bark formation than brown sugar.

Thanks for the replies Guys.

j, After reading the info, I'm thinking about going around 250* with this smoke instead of 225* and using the rub recipe from the Mr. Brown page.

Matt, I can see where light oil might be a benefit. I'm not really a mustard on meat guy. I'll look into that too.

Thanks again to All.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:
<snip>I'm not really a mustard on meat guy. I'll look into that too.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you won't taste the mustard, at all. It's just there to hold the rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> After reading the info, I'm thinking about going around 250* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, I find that there is no advantage to cooking less than 250 for normal Q. Good bark comes from a good layer of rub, sugars help more than most all of the other stuff (unless you are using lots of fresh ground chiles). Either pre salt to draw moisture or use a liquid base like mustard or oil(s).

Thanks Glenn. It's on now @ 250*.

Here it is after rubbed with the Mr Brown rub posted above.

23rk0fq.jpg

I'll post the entire cook in phot gallery when done.

Back