Good Bark on Boston Butt.

Mike P.

TVWBB All-Star
I've seen some Great photos in the Gallery of pulled pork with excellent bark.

Going to do my second one one the WSM this weekend. Last time (My 1st cook on the WSM), I used only Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. The BB turned out Great but not alot of bark compared to the fine ones I've seen here.

What should I coat the BB with to obtain said bark? Is there a special method I could use to make more bark?

I anticipate cooking conditions to be partly cloudy with OAT's 57 to 63 degrees and light winds. Will be using water in pan since my WSM runs on the hot side. Also plan to use hickory wood for smoke.

Any and all input Appreciated.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

A nice thick coating of a rub with a strong sugar component goes a long way towards bark formation.

You also might want to look at the Renowned Mr. Brown method listed on the cooking topics here. The mopping involved in this recipe is a fool-proof way to get a nice thick bark.

i get a good bark by coating the butt with mustard. i also s&p mine. i cook at a higher temp, around 300 give or take 25 deg. i also do not foil.

Thanks for the replies Guys. I did not know to try either approach. What a Great Site!

George, What is s&p? Thanks.

Dave, I'll be checking that link. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">s&p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I belive s&p translates to "Salt and pepper".

Simple as that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geir Widar:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">s&p </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I belive s&p translates to "Salt and pepper".

Simple as that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DUH! My Bad! Thanks Geir
icon_redface.gif

Never done the simple S&P on butts but on ribs its my favorite....Emilie like a more complex rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff R:
No foil, No mop </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
+1

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
Never done the simple S&P on butts but on ribs its my favorite....Emilie like a more complex rub. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wolgast, On my 1st BB cook, I tried to keep it simple as it was also the 1st time I used the WSM. I see now that I confused a dark color on the meat with bark. Since being on this site, I've learned a tremendous amount from the Fine folks here.

That is a very good observation Sir. Thanks!

Bark comes from browning (Maillard reaction). The reaction requires 3 things: sugar, protein, and heat, and works best at pH in the basic range.

The two obvious variables you could change are your cook temp and the amount of sugar in your rub.

j, I just read the Mr. Brown recipe Chris posted. I will research the "Millard Reaction" too.

Basic ph for water is 3.5 to 4.0 ppm (if I remember correctly) Would this be a good range in the BBQ world? Also, should I go higher or lower with cooking temps? Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Basic ph for water is 3.5 to 4.0 ppm (if I remember correctly) Would this be a good range in the BBQ world? Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

basic is pH 7-14

I was just reading how a pinch of baking soda added to onions can speed browning.

I'm not sure I'd bother trying to raise the pH of my rub when there are simpler fixes like increasing sugar and heat.

Its good to know the fundamentals of cooking. Despite what some "pitmasters" want you to believe, their isn't a lot of mystery to barbecue. Its just cooking, and understanding your variables will help you cut through most of the bs out there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Basic ph for water is 3.5 to 4.0 ppm (if I remember correctly) Would this be a good range in the BBQ world? Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

basic is pH 7-14

I was just reading how a pinch of baking soda added to onions can speed browning.

I'm not sure I'd bother trying to raise the pH of my rub when there are simpler fixes like increasing sugar and heat.

Its good to know the fundamentals of cooking. Despite what some "pitmasters" want you to believe, their isn't a lot of mystery to barbecue. Its just cooking, and understanding your variables will help you cut through most of the bs out there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

j, You Are the Man! I'm not trying to over complicate this gig but here's what I've learned so far from Wiki:

Factors

High temperature, intermediate moisture levels, and alkaline conditions all promote the Maillard reaction.[4] In cooking, low moisture levels are necessary mainly because water boils into steam at 100 °C (212 °F), whereas the Maillard reaction happens noticeably around 154 °C (309 °F): significant browning of food does not occur until all surface water is vaporized.

The rate of Maillard reactions increases as the water activity increases from 0.0 or as it decreases from 1.0, reaching a maximum at water activities in the range of 0.6 to 0.7. Since the Maillard reaction produces water, further increases in water activity may inhibit Maillard reactions.[5]

Pentose reducing sugars react more than hexoses, which react more than disaccharides. Different amino acids produce different amounts of browning.

Too Cool!

I have a much better idea now.

Thank You Sir.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, should I go higher or lower with cooking temps? Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

from wikipedia:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">High temperature, intermediate moisture levels, and alkaline conditions all promote the Maillard reaction.[4] In cooking, low moisture levels are necessary mainly because water boils into steam at 100 °C (212 °F), whereas the Maillard reaction happens noticeably around 154 °C (309 °F): significant browning of food does not occur until all surface water is vaporized. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also, should I go higher or lower with cooking temps? Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

from wikipedia:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">High temperature, intermediate moisture levels, and alkaline conditions all promote the Maillard reaction.[4] In cooking, low moisture levels are necessary mainly because water boils into steam at 100 °C (212 °F), whereas the Maillard reaction happens noticeably around 154 °C (309 °F): significant browning of food does not occur until all surface water is vaporized. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The part I do not understand is the 309* F to obtain the proper browning. This seems to conflict with the 225-250* F low and slow.

Like others have said, sugar in your rub and heat will create the bark. Foil and mopping will do the opposite.

Jeff and Mike - I'm no expert on Maillard, but isn't the bark on a butt more a function of the sugar carmelization and smoke than actual browning of the meat? I'm just thinking that even if you took a rock and coated with a mustard slather and a brown sugar-laden rub, you would get a bark.

Jon, after reading this article from the link Dave posted, there is a section about the type of sugar used.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave from Denver:
A nice thick coating of a rub with a strong sugar component goes a long way towards bark formation.

You also might want to look at the Renowned Mr. Brown method listed on the cooking topics here. The mopping involved in this recipe is a fool-proof way to get a nice thick bark. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will explore this option about the type of sugar to use.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jeff and Mike - I'm no expert on Maillard, but isn't the bark on a butt more a function of the sugar carmelization and smoke than actual browning of the meat? I'm just thinking that even if you took a rock and coated with a mustard slather and a brown sugar-laden rub, you would get a bark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, but Maillard should be the goal, that's why I lean towards heat and less towards sugar.

from wikipedia:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The browning reactions that occur when meat is roasted or seared are complicated, and occur mostly by Maillard browning[2] with contributions from other chemical reactions, including the breakdown of the tetrapyrrole rings of the muscle protein myoglobin.

In the process, hundreds of different flavor compounds are created. These compounds, in turn, break down to form yet more new flavor compounds, and so on. Each type of food has a very distinctive set of flavor compounds that are formed during the Maillard reaction. It is these same compounds flavor scientists have used over the years to make reaction flavors.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back