Gonna fire up my first fattie! Need some tips.....

Ryan Foote

TVWBB Member
My wife and I have some friends coming over for the Niners game this coming Saturday morning, and planned on smoking something. Realized the game is a 10a.m. start, so figure I need to do breakfast (it's for two couples, all guys and that may not be the case). Anyway, searched breakfast and found a couple fattie posts. I'd never heard of them before. I couldn't find a specific recipe with regards to how much meat, cooking temp., and time, so i could use some advice or a link to a good recipe. I am avoiding the bacon weave with this attempt and rolling straight sausage.

Any thoughts are definitley appreciated. Every recipe I have done from this site (about 10) have been fantastic!

Thank you!

Do the bacon weave very ez to do. Just search you tube for the bacon weave. As far as a filling you can use just about anything. Cheese onions mushrooms etc whatever you prefer

Don't know if you also found trick to make the roll, but 2 lbs of sausage in 1 gal zip lock rolls out to the perfect size. Then just cut open the sides for a perfect square ready to be stuffed

I've done several. Theeeee best thing for you to do is watch the vid by the BBQ Pit Boys. Don't overdue it, watch what they do and if you do it right it will turn out like this.
IMG_0488.jpg

There are a couple of choices when you are making these;
1) you can stuff them with various vegetables and cheese and wrap or,
2) you can season the meat only then wrap them in the bacon weave.

I like the sausage style which is ground pork seasoned and then wrapped. It's your choice. You could simply buy a seasoned sausage roll and wrap it in bacon...there are a lot of choices. Learn the bacon weave it's so good and as you can see it makes an excellent presentation. Have fun with it! When I make them because of my age I give at least half away!

Last edited:
Thanks all, yeah Jeff, I saw the ziplock trick, thanks for pointing it out though. It sounds like bacon is the way to go huh? I had just read a couple posts stating that the bacon doesn't cook enough, and my wife likes her bacon cooked. I am wanting her to love the wsm, so am aiming at pleasing her to start with. Anyone have issues with the bacon undercooked? Gary, looks awesome! I am sure it's in the youtube video, but what temp and how long to get it cooked like yours?
Also, do you all put eggs in yours? I saw this one that has 5 eggs scrambled in it.

What are your thoughts on this recipe (just add the bacon weave):
http://www.smokingpit.com/recipes/Maple-Smoked-Breakfast-fatty.htm

Sorry for so many questions, just want to make it good!

Oh man, just watched the Pit Boys video, they are awesome! Thanks for the suggestion. So, bacon wrapped sausage, 2lbs. with some veggies and cheese, at 225-250 for 60-90 minutes? Can I throw some eggs in there?

I have made sausage for over 25 years. I have only a few recipes where I used eggs. When eggs are used often there is a filler of some sort. They are not necessary. In the recipe you have they are a centre filling, I have not done that. Salt is your meat binder. I would work with 2 lbs of ground pork. The fat from the pork while cooking is all the moisture you will need. I would not use the bacon except for the weave as you have seen. For breakfast style sausage I would keep it simple, use salt, pepper and some rubbed sage. If you want a little heat add some crushed red pepper or cayenne but be careful with the cayenne. You could add a little onion but some of the best sausage is the simplest. Salt, pepper, and one or two other ingredients. Pack the meat into shape, make your bacon weave and roll it. It works better than you might think. Don't be afraid of it. I've done mine on a kettle so I keep my temps around 300-325. If you are using a WSM you will have to lift the lid to get those temps. No water in the pan. Use a therm to get your internal temps up to about 165, you should be good. I turned mine end for end once, They're surprisingly easy to make. If you add veggies and egg make sure you can keep the meat together, in other words not too many veggies and egg as you have to keep the meat in one piece. As the bacon cooks it will shrink and tighten up the loaf. They're awesome to make and great to eat. If you want to practise get some pork, select your recipe and reduce according to weight, and make a test pattie. Fry it up to taste. I never stuff a batch of sausage without cooking up a pattie to taste. It only will only get better with bacon!
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Sounds good Gary, thanks for the detailed info., that certainly helps. I'll do it up the way you suggested on the grill with indirect heat. I'll just throw some biscuits and eggs on the side! About how long does it take you to get to 165 at those temps?

Ryan I would do the solid meat loaf, for your first time, that way then you can improve and experiment with the fillings once you get the hang of it. I say that because someone here, can't remember tried to put a big one together for the first time it fell apart and burned up You will still knock em out of the park with biscuits and eggs on the side. Trust me on that.
As for the cook time, I can't really remember but in my kettle it would have been under two hours. You're probably looking at a longer time in the smoker. I would use a drill bit, a big spike, or some other piece of metal to raise your dome up in one area say...a half an inch. That will get you burning hotter and you should be able to get the temps you need. Even if you don't get the higher temps, it will not dry out so worst case scenerio...is a longer cook.

Back