Golf and Brisket at the same time, Courage on the first cook

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well, come he... or high water, here we go. Tues, night, prepared my first brisket (6 1/2 lb) using the rub from the Overnight brisket thread on this forum. Was going to try my first cook Wed during the day (doing nothing else but cook) but then my Father in law called to ask me to play golf. Brisket or golf....brisket or golf.... brisket or... oh, who am I kidding...it is golf...
But then, I thought why not both??

So here is my game plan. T time aroune 10ish. So, start Minion method around 730am (after kids have gone to school so they do not see real fear in their father's eyes - everything I am doing is On The Job Training, with no saftey net). And it is too early for beer (like Dave from VAncouver).

Then I will put the lit chimney charcol on a full pan of unlit charcol around 800am and get meat from refrig and put in WSM around 830am. Put it on (with full pan of hot water as I did not have a chance to go to beach for beach sand). Also put in Remote check probes in meat and cork or potatoe. Put Weber probe in on top of WSM to measure top heat.

Hopefully, heat (in brand new weber) stabalizes before 10 (gotta re-read desired temp) and I go off (feeling guilty as hell) to play golf (and pray...one prayer for low score and 2nd prayer for brisket that is not burnt to a crisp.

Come home immediately after golf (3 or 4pm)(bypass 19th hole beer(s)) to see if WSM has blown up or if there are fire trucks in front of house with all the neighbors looking for me.

If all is well (I hope), continue to cook and monitor and maby, just maby, I do not have to call Dominos for Pizza and I can envite my inlaws to a Brisket dinner.

Aint America great? Where else can you live where you can have a good time playing golf while your meat investment is frying away not to mention the house is going up in flames and this is only the first time you have even tried a cookout?
/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Robert, What a maverick! Throwing all caution to the wind and putting faith in the WSM God. Keep your head down and swing thru the ball. Time it right and you'll get back in time to open a vent a bit and put some more water in the pan. Good luck, proud a ya boy!
Dave

/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif AAArrrrrrggggghhhhhhh.,.. I have just redefined the word STUPID. With my tight tight timeline (had to start chimney at 730, put lit chimney coals in with full charcol bin (Minion method) at 8am, go to Bobbys class (by 815am)to see him receive an award come back at 845 where (hopefully) all coals are ready and then put the meat in around 9 or 915am and hope it stabalizes at 10ish as I have to play golf 1030 or 11 and what happens AT 729AM....... I FIND OUT I FORGOT TO BUY THE LOUSY KINGSFORD CHARCOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH.
If i get out of this and get the brisket going and still able to get to the 1100 T time play golf, God is definitly sitting on my shoulder (at least until the first T.) Now, i definetly need to incorporate the Dave Vancouver Drink Beer whild cooking Brisket method /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Did you go to Auburn?

Sorry, that one was too easy, and my Auburn graduate wife was looking over my shoulder. Hang in there Robert, nothing we haven't all done, and remember, multitasking is the mark of a true artist!

Good luck with getting it all put together!

Tee time is 1122. Means I have to leave here at 1005am

Current time 1050?.getting close and I am sure this is stupid to play golf.

Recap so far
925am started Chimney
955 put lit coals into full pan of unlit coals (kingsford)
1010 put in 1 hickory chunk, 2 mesquite chunks
1015 Dome temp 310-320
prepared remote with potatoe in S2
1040 put potatoe probe in with all vents closed
temp 133 135 144
1043 open all 3 vents 100 percent
potatoe temp 160 and climbing
1045 165 168
1050 potatoe 185 and dome 300 (all vents open 100percent
getting dressed for golf
1055 potatoe temp 204
FOLK, THIS IS REALLY STUPID (WHAT I AM DOING)
1057 206 NOW 208
1100am gotta get meat on? will put vents at 25percent, put probe in and leave by 1110 (takes 2 minutes to get to club house)
1005am potatoe 205, put brisket in and close all 3 vents to open only 25percent... left top dome open all the way (temp 325)
1107 leaving... this will be my last transmissiion until I get back... someone do a prayer for the ole guy here ok? time 1110.... adios

Pray Schmay!!

It was 3 degrees above zero this morning in Chicago. I would gladly trade places with you and worry about my WSM while keeping my head down and swinging through the ball. Except I would not worry too much as the WSM goes on auto-pilot in weather like you have in Florida.

You should be ok--let the WSM do its thing for you.

Let us all know how it turns out.

Dale
Smoking in Chicago and keeping my head down to avoid the wind which creates a minus 15 degree wind chill.

Pat...Sounds like your wife is a smart woman!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Robert...I feel for ya dude. I've done that myself a time or two. Really screws your whole schedule. I have no doubt, however, that the WSM will pull you through. And remember, a bad day of golf (maybe even a bad brisket??) is far better that a good day at work. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
-------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

It died. THE DOGGON DOOR FELL OFF WHEN I WAS GOLFING! THE WATER WAS GONE, THE BRISKET WAS BLACK CRISP ON BOTH SIDES. HERE IS WHAT I LEARNED:
1. Dont play golf and cook briskets
2. Make sure the door is solid closed (problem here is, I thought it was)
3. Never, never use water again. I will sand it next time
What a bummer...

Bummer, Robert! I wouldn't give up on golfing while cooking though.... give it another try sometime when you're more comfortable.

How did your golf game go? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kelly

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Wagner:
[qb]2. Make sure the door is solid closed. (problem here is, I thought it was)
3. Never, never use water again. I will sand it next time
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>See Access Door Modifications to solve problem #2.

Water can be a useful tool. No need to never use it again just because of this experience. You'd have probably been fine if the door hadn't come unhinged.

Better luck next time,
Chris

Sorry for the mishaps Robert!

Next time you cook try this.......once your coals in the chimney are lit.....pour them onto the unlit ones AND put your meat on AND wood in.......all at the same time. Open all the vents as wide as they will go.

This way, everything gets done in one shot....your not opening the smoker multiple times to put meat in or add your smoking wood, nor fooling with the vents. No sense in trying to stabilize the unit if your meat isn't even yet.

Now you can monitor the temp and start to close the vents as you get near your smoking temp. I always monitor my pit for the first hour..this gives me plenty of time to get to temp and then stabilize.

It all works out the same in the end, I just find this much easier.

Of course nothing will work when the door falls off!

Well, all was not lost. My father-in-law came over and he salvaged some of the internal meat that was still moist. I even ate some of the "blackened crispy" outside stuff and it tasted good.

Chris, thanks for the access door modifications and Kevin, thanks for the tip on doing it all at the same time... I shall the next time.

I will however, go to the beach and get sand for the water pot...I think I like this even better than getting a brinkman bowl because it is easy to just leave the sand in and not worry about filling it at the beginning of (or during) the cook.

And I just might alos take my sand wedge to the beach and practice using that *&&^%$##((* club....it did a number on me today just like that &*^%$#@*( Weber door! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to all the rest of ya.

Robert, I was so pullin' fer ya bro! I've been dealing with our Premier (equivalent to a Govenor) who just got busted for DUI in Mauii. All things in perspective your really not having that bad a day! You did get to golf. Darn door! What kinda beer helps you wash down a bad brisket story?
Dave /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

You aint gonna belive it but it is LaBatt Blue... When I was with my three buddies in Vancover and Burns Lake fishing, we bought and drank it. It has been my favorite beer since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back