Going sugarless.

Bill Mengel

TVWBB Fan
I've been going sugarless in my rubs, for no reason except to try it. I've done it with ribs and butt and 2 different rub recipes. I cann't tell the difference in the finished product. I'm mainly a chilly head but the rest of my family is of the opinion sweeter is better, and they haven't noticed, In fact they have said it tastes great. So, what does or why is sugar added in rubs?

Lots of reasons, some of which include: as a counterpoint to the heat component(s) in the rub; to help with bark formation; to add bottom notes to the flavor; as a counterpoint to the acids in a mop; as a counterpoint to the acids in a sauce.

For now I think I'm sticking to without. I really like how it tastes. However, in a month or so I'm sure I'll change agin, I rarely make the same things the same way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I really like how it tastes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> As do I. I use different rubs for different meats and for different cuts as well. I base the rub on the type of meat and the cut, the sauce(s) I'm planning, and the sides I'm planning. Sometimes just a touch of sugar works better than a larger dose; sometimes none at all.

Interesting - sugar in the rub to help with bark. I've been trying to lessen the bark on ribs when I do BRITU. Maybe I'll lighten up on the sugar.

Bill, Great topic. I was writing about 'over-charring' steak. Using rubs in more and more dishes, I like the idea of pulling sugar. If there is no sugar in the rub...it won't burn on the steak.

Would you mind to post your rubs sans sugar?
Thanks

IMHO lot of recipes for rubs could cut down on sugar & salt.

Now take my wife, please! (Oops, old joke
icon_biggrin.gif
) She dosen't want any rub on her meat. She thinks it tastes best with just the smoke and mop.

SP
No sugar in steak rubs is good idea, the burning point of sugar is much too low for grilling. For low and slow that's a different story and Kevin covered it well.
Jim

I have mainly just tried removing the sugar from any rub recipe I try. Here is ruffly the last one I did. Depending on the heat you like cut the cayenne in half.

2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
½ tablespoon dry musterd

Back