Going for my first "double" this weekend

Jason Hunter

So, barring any unforeseen conflicts, I'm going to do my first two product "double" on my new WSM this weekend. I'm planning on doing a pork butt and a couple racks of spare ribs on Saturday. Both will get dry rubs on Friday. I haven't finalized my rub recipes yet, but they will be different.

My plan is to put the ribs on top with the butt on the lower grate. Do you think there is any value in moving the butt up to the top rack when the ribs are done? Other than ease of access that is. I'm plenty tall to reach in when necessary. Any other suggestions for the big smoke? I'll gladly take any and all advice offered...

Can't wait to get this going. I'm going to use oak, hickory and pear. Mmmmm...pork goodness.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

when i've done ribs and butt I put the butt on top for a while until i'm ready to start the ribs. then i move the butt to the bottom with the ribs above it. i try to time it so the butt is done a couple of hours before the ribs so the butt can rest in foil for a while before being pulled.

Do you add more smoke wood to the fire when you add the ribs, or would that make too much smoke for the butt?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benji whitehead:
when i've done ribs and butt I put the butt on top for a while until i'm ready to start the ribs. then i move the butt to the bottom with the ribs above it. i try to time it so the butt is done a couple of hours before the ribs so the butt can rest in foil for a while before being pulled. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like this! However, I'm was thinking of ribs for lunch, pulled pork for dinner!
icon_biggrin.gif

If I were going to eat lunch at 12 and dinner at 7 here's what I would do:

Put the butt on bottom at 4-5 am, put the ribs on at 6 to 6:30 am. When ribs are done move the butt to the top and hopefully it's done around 5 or 6, if done early just foil and rest in a cooler or microwave.

I would try to keep temps around 250-275 on this Q.

I use the foiled clay method with lump, but this could be done with briqs and water as well.

Let us know your results.

I like Glenn’s suggestion for this cook for time and temp, but since they are spares instead of baby backs I would put the ribs on at 3 or 4PM Instead of 6.
I would also but the butt on the lower grate from start to end. Spritz, mop or do whatever you normally do to your butt and put the ribs on the top rack when ready. I personally try not to move the meat from grate to grate during a cook.
Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Hunter:
I'm planning on doing a pork butt and a couple racks of spare ribs on Saturday. Both will get dry rubs on Friday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hmmm ... I thought you were only supposed to apply rub to ribs 2~3 hours in advance, not overnight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob Ruth:
... or would that make too much smoke for the butt? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No worries. No such thing as "too much" smoke for butt.
icon_wink.gif

you shouldn't need to add smoke wood. i usually put a pretty big chunk (usually a a split piece) for a long cook and it puts out flavor for a long time. I'd make sure you give yourself enough time and then add some extra time. there is nothing more frustrating than when it's time to eat and your food isn't done, then you go ahead and take off the food and it isn't cooked enough to be perfect (I've learned from experience).

I don't think you're giving yourself enough time for the ribs or butt if you get started at 6am. i'd start the pork on friday night and throw the ribs on early saturday morning if it were me.

Disclaimer: I forgot my camera at work on Friday, so no pics. I'll take some tonight when we have left overs.

So, it went beautifully! I changed my plans slightly because we had some folks coming to dinner, which wasn't part of the original plan.

Got up at 5:00 AM. Had the butt in by 6, 7.8lb bone-in. A few chunks of oak and one of hickory. Put it on the bottom rack. Temps started at about 275, but by about 7, settled in at 250F, which I was able to hold pretty constant all day.

At 1PM, I put the ribs in on the top rack. I'd trimmed them St. Louis style the night before, put the "brisket" and the rest on too. Added a couple chucks of oak and a small hickory and stirred the coals. Opened the bottom vents back up for about 15 minutes to get a good smoke going again.

At 5:30, the ribs were happily passing the "tear test", so removed them and foiled. Checked internal temp on the butt, 185. Decided to leave it a bit longer. At 6, hit 190 and removed to cutting board. Let it sit till just before 7. It pulled perfectly, almost no effort involved.

The PP was perfect. Tender, juicy with a beautiful bark and smoke ring. The ribs I also nailed. Cut them into individual ribs. Everybody had PP sammys with homemade slaw and pickles. Since we had guests, I blew off making my own sauce and used a bottle of Grumpy's Black Label I had in the pantry.

All in all, a complete success. Rave reviews from all, and especially from myself, because I'm my own harshest critic.

Another successful smoke under my belt.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back