"Go-To" for Greek-Style Rotisserie Chicken?

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
Thinking about what to cook for my first go with the new Performer - and find myself craving some good Yard Bird.

Also fondly recalling the chicken halves cooked on spits, practically laying in the low coals at the Summer Greek Church festivals around here - and maybe taking a somewhat carefully planned stab at something akin to this at home.

The rub that they use at my fave is a "carefully guarded secret" - but I know that it contains:
  • Oregano
  • Garlic
  • "dry olive oil"
  • Salt
  • (plus some other good stuff...)

Anybody around here come from a real or make-believe Greek family and care to share?
Thanks in advance / Efharisto!

I love Greek food and will be watching this thread.

I've used Penzey's Greek seasoning & that's really good, I think you'd like it but I know there are some very talented cooks here who will hopefully post their "secrets" :)

I picked up a Greek cookbook back in 2009 & have made a couple of salads & their Tzatziki - I can recommend their cookbook from what little I've tried. It's the only Greek CB I have though.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931868735/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

Thanks for the suggestion, Clint

I DID swing-by Penzeys while running some errands yesterday and grabbed a jar of their Greek Seasoning mix.
Then massaged the birds with EVOO
Gave a generous dusting of the Seasoning, and kosher flake salt (put some in the cavity and shook it around)
Refrigerated for about 1.5 hours

Then, spit and tie

Went on for about an hour and a half (pro-K briqs and a few small Apple twigs)
Lid temp spiked-up for a while so skin split but didn't burn

Results were quite tasty!

Do you have a good recipe for Greek Potatoes? I've never had them but I tried making some last night. I didn't have any lemon or lemon pepper so I just used evoo and the Penzey's Greek seasoning instead of probably the more typical herbs.

Do you have a good recipe for Greek Potatoes? I've never had them but I tried making some last night. I didn't have any lemon or lemon pepper so I just used evoo and the Penzey's Greek seasoning instead of probably the more typical herbs.

Similar to this: http://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/crispiest-greek-lemon-potatoes-patates-lemonates/ but I sub Chicken stock or Better Than Bouillon for the water.
I also use the non-stick foil pan liners, helps with cleanup and the taters don't get stuck.:) If done on the grill cover with foil for the first 30mins ( I like a CI pan for that )

Tim

Thanks so much! I guess I'll try with fresh lemon juice----I threw away a bottle of lemon juice last week...

One recipe I tried called for Yukon Golds, different style (not Greek potatoes) so I hope they work. I don't have semolina flour either, but a lot of people recommend it for the pizza crust or peel so I'll be getting some of that too.

Potatoes? Here's what we do in our village. Cut potatoes into wedges add thinly sliced red onions season with garlic powder, paprika, salt, evoo and lots of oregano. Add a couple of lemons quartered squeeze juice all over and put lemons in. 45 minutes at 350.

OK, I'm getting hungry again!

Now that I have my rotisserie dilemma worked-out (see my other post if you need a chuckle), I'll have to give it another "spin" this weekend (get it? Rotisserie / spin.... :p)

Similar to this: http://www.mygreekdish.com/recipe/crispiest-greek-lemon-potatoes-patates-lemonates/ but I sub Chicken stock or Better Than Bouillon for the water.
I also use the non-stick foil pan liners, helps with cleanup and the taters don't get stuck.:) If done on the grill cover with foil for the first 30mins ( I like a CI pan for that )

Tim

I did this a few days ago - funny thing is they had a very slight flavor like the Kettle Chips Salt & Pepper flavor on just a few of the bites These were very good. I halved the recipe but think I might have liked to double the lemon. I served with oven baked (reminded me one reason I like my grill - smoked out my house) bone-in skin-on thighs with some of that Penzey's Greek seasoning on the chicken.

12472362_10206099809156155_8500739223262054266_n.jpg

Back