GMG pizza oven trial run.

Bruno

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So I saw on another site flames going in odd directions with the GMG on a SmokeFire and decided to try a different approach. I drilled a hole in my diffuser and the pipe from the GMG now sits inside the diffuser.

I’m going to fire this bad boy up in a couple hours. I’m hoping this works out well, fits great, I will cut the tabs to sit inside the grate shelf. I just want to make a couple observations before I do this.
Question do you clean the stone before use?5E61BE20-BA7E-4687-87FA-23C17A526F15.jpegCFBF9C54-B5C5-4AA9-B2E4-AA7D5BE6B45A.jpeg

Last edited:
I never clean the stone. I scrape it clean when cool.

Since it is new, maybe heat it on a gasser or a 400F oven for an hour or so to cook off any moisture or other shipping MFG stuff.

On my RT, I just removed the diffuser, and the GMG "pipe" sat nicely in the fire pot......not so on the SF? I presume you have a plan to cover that hole in your diffuser for normal use?

I didn't bother to clean the stone on mine before first use. I figured that anything that might be on there would be long cooked off by the time I was putting pies on there after a 1 hour preheat! :)

Looks like a good start!

R

On my RT, I just removed the diffuser, and the GMG "pipe" sat nicely in the fire pot......not so on the SF? I presume you have a plan to cover that hole in your diffuser for normal use?

I didn't bother to clean the stone on mine before first use. I figured that anything that might be on there would be long cooked off by the time I was putting pies on there after a 1 hour preheat! :)

Looks like a good start!

R
Rich it was shy by a few inches, my concern was that some pictures I saw it had a huge flame out the back, I did not want to risk burn back. Leaving the diffuser will give me confidence to leave the lid closed.
I do have a new diffuser to use when i smoke.

Last edited:
15 minutes in the stone is at 500, I’m going to let it go until 650 and cook the first one.

Looking good, Bruno! Take lots of notes on your setup! :)

For a scratch made pie, you'll probably want to heat soak that stone for at least an hour......My notes from my last session say to try 1:15. :)

R

I put those on at 600 not really knowing what to expect. The set up worked really well. The thermpro temp gun was awesome.
I am definitely going for the dough and simple sauce next time.
Crazy to think the SmokeFire is now a pizza oven.

Back