Global knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug
I have many knives, including one Global. It is a 4 inch paring knife. Outstanding quality & weight and sharpens incredibly well.

The only negative is at the grip...there is a little 'hook' near the handle that can nick your finger if you're not careful. I still use it all the time and so does my wife. The nick thing doesn't bother her, but I have to be conscious about it . Try one at the store before you buy it. Maybe it won't bother you.

I've never used a Global, but I do know that it continually shows up on Cooks Illustrated NOT RECOMMENDED list when they test knives.

Here's the summary on their chef's knife tests, for the top three places:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The pleasant surprise of the knife test was the strong showing by the budget knives, which took first and third place, outperforming knives costing up to three times as much. The Forschner/Victorinox Fibrox won us over with its keen edge, fine balance, and comfortable handle. For those favoring svelte knives, this was the lightest of the bunch. Professional Cutlery Direct (242 Branford Road, North Branford, CT 06471; 800-859-6994; www.cutlery.com) carries the Forschner, item #2CICF, for $31. A close second, the Wusthof-Trident Grand Prix, is slightly stouter than the Forschner but was nonetheless described as sleek, sharp, and easy to control. All the testers noted its natural feel in their hands. Professional Cutlery Direct carries the Grand Prix, item #2CICW, for $82.50. With its uniquely grippy handle and light weight, the third-place Oxo Pro MV-55 chef's knife proved agile and adept at any task. It is available for $29.99 at Kitchen Etc. (November 2002)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Also, re the Global, from the paring knife test in January 2000:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The other big loser when it came to handles was the Global knife. All of the testers noted how the unusual shape of the handle required them to choke up on it, which put their thumbs within dangerous proximity of a sharp and prominent point at the heel of the blade. This awkward hand position also made the knife so difficult to control that one tester called the Global ?perilous for paring.? .... The good news was that the edges on most of the knives were easy to restore by honing on a sharpening steel, a characteristic referred to in kitchen parlance as ?taking an edge.? The Global, however, required a ceramic or diamond steel for honing, another big disadvantage.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, I tend to pay a lot of attention to the Cooks Illustrated tests. They haven't steered me wrong yet.

Keri C, Smokin on Tulsa Time

Keri
Thanks....CI said exactly what I was trying to say, only better.

I know the Forschner knives get nice reviews but I prefer a bolster, particulary on my chef's knife. The bolster adds weight and some degree of safety. I think the safety part is important for chopping hard vegetables...butternut squash for instance. Maybe some Forschner knives have a bolster, but I haven't seen them.

I've been using Wusthof, Henckels and Calphalon for this reason.

Peter....

You are correct about the Forschner's! I just mentioned this fact in another thread about slicing "hard" items. Because the Forschner's are stamped, no bolster and pretty light weight. I much prefer a forged knife for these chores.

You guys have made me think about it... I've been thinking back through which knife I automatically grab off the wall for which jobs. You're right - it's the heavy forged Tramontina Professional 12-inch "big-a**" chef's knife (Robert's name for it)I go for to cut "hard" stuff or partially frozen items rather than the lighter Forschners that I usually prefer. I hadn't actually thought about it, but I do.

We can learn so much about ourselves on a BBQ list! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C

I had to take my significant other to the ER last year after she sliced open her finger while splitting a butternut squash with a Wusthof chef's knife that wasn't up to the task.

A big Forschner cleaver and rubber mallet solved the problem. That, and she's no longer allowed to use anything sharper than a spoon. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

Chris
Nothing like adding an element of danger when you're cooking! When I get out my 10 inch chef's knife my wife and daughter clear the area.

I have a single edged Global chef's knife that works pretty well. It is even left handed for us in that particular minority.

If nothing else, I have learned how to use a sharpening steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back