Giving Ribs the "BIG REST"

e reynolds

I did my 4th cook in the 18" over last weekend, but it was my first cook for a larger amount of people. I decided to do 3 racks of pork loin ribs the Friday night before the Satruday party just so I could let the cooker cool and clean it up. I did the cook let the ribs cool a little and then put them in an aluminum pan, then into the fridge. Next day, I sauced them cut them up then back into the fridge. Party time, we put them into a 350F oven for 30 to 45 minutes. I have got to tell ya, these were the best ribs I have made yet. I was not quite sure how the texture and taste would be after the night in the fridge but it was great (if I do say myself). Usually when we ate them right off the cooker they were "too fall off the bone" texture. These ones were right on target. I think that from now on I am going to let them rest a while before eating. Does anyone else let ribs rest a while before eating?

Still Smoking in New Jersey

You might me on to something or maybe it was just a coincidence. Last ribs that I had BBQed they were done way before I was ready for them so I took them off just a tad early and figured I would sauce them and finish them on the grill when it was time to eat. They were some of the best ribs I have made.

After my last rib cook, I am firm believer in resting. Won't go on about everything, but I did a 40 minute rest after they came off. When I pulled them, I thought they were way too "fall off". After the rest, you took a bite, they stuck to the rib, and they were tender in the mouth.

It doesn't bother me to cook anything a day ahead of time. I prefer ribs and brisket the next day over eating it the same day. To me it's just better. Pulled pork, I haven't made up my mind about that, I may prefer it the same day as it's cooked. But I cook it ahead of time, at times, anyway.

I prefer the same day hands down. I do let them rest in heavy duty foil in a dry cooler. Longest I let them rest was 2hrs. They were amazing. Any leftovers I have ever had and warmed up the next day, to me, were good but def lost something.

I do a LOT of cooking, not just bbq, for parties, get togethers, etc. And while I get the beauty of perfectly timed bbq, I almost never serve it that way. That plain fact is that bbq (IMO) is actually pretty resilient and doesn't lose much (relatively speaking) if properly chilled and reheated. Therefore, I reserve serving bbq, when my schedule does not allow me a large block of time prior to dinner. I've kept ribs chilled for 48 hour prior to this cook and reheated them on an open pit and felt that that they were just as good as just off the smoker:

IMG_4692.JPG

If I have the time to be cooking right up to service, it just won't be bbq.

Interesting set up J. I'm trying to make out the bottom under the grill and it almost looks concrete. What is it?

What is it?

its a tire rim. they are the standard fire ring at the camp I was cooking at, my uncle likes to spray paint it silver.

I jury rigged my roti with some blocks and rebar so I could set it up there,

I have smoked ribs and then reheated the next day on the gasser to sauce and serve. I felt they were great and definitly added some thing to them. The one time I did this for my Dad he said they were the best he had ever had. Maybe there is something to thid reheating-Q!!!

I let ribs rest quite often till the next day. Usually cut them into individual ribs and grill them on the kettle and serve. It takes a lot of the pressure off on the day of the get together and lets you relax . Plus if you've ever over smoked your ribs (yes you can do it) letting it sit for a day will mellow out the smoke flavour

I heard Alton Brown of the food network say one time. I believe he was talking about PP or pork roast or something.

That it is the "tenderest" after resting of course in the foil etc.

"Once it cools and is reheated" it never gets "Quite" to the tenderness level it was.

I have found when I "overcooked" ribs, and they were fall off the bone. Which by the way I don't care for fall off the bone. Just my personal taste, not my family's.

Reheating the next day, the ribs are still pleanty tender enought yet they don't seam too fall off the bone. For me cooked just the way I want them.

Back