Ginger Question

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
Anyone do anything interesting with ginger lately? As far as BBQ goes? I'm not talking about asian style grilled meats with asian 5 spice mixtures,etc. but something where the bright straight forward citrus like flavor is expressed in BBQ. I wasn't sure if the flavor combinations would clash, when smoked, so I thought I'd ask.

Maybe something with chicken?

It appears in many of my sauces and rubs and I am not one for 'Asian-style' Q. I use it often with beef and pork, occasionally with poultry. You can use it to support other flavors or make it a bit more pronounced.

Thanks Kevin. So, may I ask, do you retain the bright clean flavors, or does it get muted with the smoke? That is, if you didn't plan on using any other spices that would alter its flavor.

'Bright' and 'clean' don't really hold up well under smoke but the other elements come through. You can mitigate the smoke issue by using less wood, including some ginger in the sauce (if making one) and/or by using minimal sugar.

Gracias! I wouldn't have thought to minimize the sugar though. Not that I'd let it burn, but I figured something like that wouldn't alter the flavor.

I think I will dig around for a good sauce/glaze recipe then.

Thanks again.

Too much sugar can flatten flavors, especially bright, high ones. (Think of too-sweet lemonade--or ginger ale for that matter.)

I've had this orange marmalde and fresh ginger thing in my head for years now. I'm thinking of just painting it on a loin or some chops right at the end. Don't know why I'm so hung up on this combo other than it just sounds good to me for some reason. That's all I got, other than I love ginger and orange marmalade.
icon_biggrin.gif
I'll got back to the Sunday cook thread now.
icon_wink.gif

Orange- and sour orange-ginger is good. I also like pineapple-ginger and peach/nectarine-ginger.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I also like pineapple-ginger </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yeah that one sounds mighty good to me too. I have some Quince Marmelada/Jam that is going to be used on some ribs here soon.
icon_smile.gif

Back