Ginger Mahogany Ribs

Jim Minion

TVWBB Emerald Member
These are a creation of Chris Capell or known
as Nature Boy. He has given his permission to post this recipe and would like to know how you feel about it.
Ribs with an Asian twist.
Jim

Ginger Mahogany Ribs

The Marinade

Ingredients:

4 Tbsp Fresh minced or grated ginger root
4 Cloves Garlic
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Mustard Seeds (I used Black)
1 tsp cracked black pepper (Tellicherry nice)
1 Tbsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
4 Tbsp Peanut Oil
4 Tbsp Maggi Seasoning, or Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar (or other vinegar)
2 Tbsp or more Rice Wine
1/2 tsp Chinese Five-Spice Powder
2 Slabs Spare Ribs or Babybacks

Preparation:

With mortar/pestle, pound the garlic, ginger and kosher salt into a paste. Add mustard seeds and peppercorns and pound until crushed and worked into the paste. Stir in remaining ingredients (except the ribs and finishing sauce!)

Pour over ribs in ziplock bag, and massage all around. Marinate overnight if possible, or a few hours at room temp. Not longer than 24 hours, as ginger is enzymatic, and can supposedly make the meat mushy if marinated too long.

I cook them 3-4 hours over a liquid filled drip pan at 275-300. Considering the liquid is 212, overall cooking temp approx 240-250??

Anyway, cook them the way you normally cook ribs, and brush on the finishing sauce for the final 45 minutes to an hour, until caramelized, but not burnt. Enjoy!

Finishing Sauce

Ingredients:

3 Ea Green Onions (Scallions) chopped
2 Cloves Garlic (chopped)
4 Tbsp Fresh Grated/Minced Ginger root
2 Tbsp Chinese Oyster Sauce (if you have it)
2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
3 Tbsp Ketchup
1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
1 Tbsp or more Siracha Chili Sauce (or heat of your choice)
1 Tbsp Turbinado Sugar
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1/2 tsp Chinese Five-Spice Powder (or to taste, I use less, many like more)
1/2 Cup Water
1 Tbsp Butter
1/4 Cup Whipping Cream (optional)

Preparation:

Sautee green onions, garlic and ginger in sesame/olive oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients, except cream and butter. Simmer 30 minutes or until reduced by a third. Stir in butter, and if desired, 1/4 cup whipping cream. Set aside to cool.

Brush on ribs during last hour of cooking, until caramelized.

Enjoy, and please let me know what you think. Any suggestions appreciated.

Submitted by Nature Boy

This was the 2nd post on the Pork thread. It sounds like a very good recipe, but no one ever posted a comment or a review. Did anyone ever make this recipe and if so, what did you think of it.?

@Joan, never made it, but I'm going to apply this preparation to one of my three 4th of July racks.

Chris was an awesome contributor to this forum in my early days, and a genuinely great guy. I know I've cooked a few of his recipes in the past, and they never failed me. And, of course, if Mr. Minion posted it up, that's just a bonus seal of approval! :) I'll post my notes/comments sometime on Monday during my recovery from Sunday night! :)

BTW, Chris is also the founder/owner of Dizzy Pig (my favorite commercial rubs.)

R

My cook is ongoing, @Joan!! I will probably document it in the Photo Gallery, but I'll drop a link here..... Smelled great coming out of the overnight marinade! :)

Hi Rich, we are having ribs also today. Wish I could say it was this recipe, but DH saw the recipe he is using today in our "Make Soon" folder. It calls for dipping the ribs in homemade Blue Cheese dressing, and with his love for cheese...................lol. I got the recipe back in '05 from Weber. It is called "Buffalo-Style Ribs with Blue Cheese Dressing". Will let you know how it turns out. Good luck also with yours. ;)

PS-our ribs were marinated also overnight. DH is boiling it down for me to use in case I don't want the blue cheese dip. lol He is also grilling some fresh corn on the cob.

Last edited:
Rich, I hope your ribs were a lot better than mine. Maybe it was just as well. None of the pictures came out good either. DH had to work around the recipe so they weren't hot for me and that just ruined the ribs. Oh well!!!!! At least I enjoyed the corn. lol DH enjoyed his ribs tho, with the blue cheese.

I would give this recipe an 8.5-9 out of 10! The flavors were really good, not much extra work vs. my usual spare ribs, and they were a very nice change of pace from my usual dry rubbed ribs with sauce on the side. I'm not sure I would change anything other than actually checking to be SURE I had fresh ginger (had to use dried) before I went to the store. ;) Well, I would also not cook them quite as long next time either, but I got distracted with my slow beef ribs, the bacon-wrapped sausage and my grilled corn. :)

@Joan, you and DH should definitely try these!

1625455666513.jpeg

Congratulations Rich, looks like you did a fabulous job, both in cooking and taking a picture.

Rich, sorry to say we still have not tried these yet, but I am bumping up to go with the GINGER I picked for the "Eat Your Spice Rack" this week.

Back