giant chip in porcelain - on a performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyRedington

TVWBB All-Star
i don't know how this happened, but the BOWL of my performer has a quarter sized chip of porcelain missing
icon_frown.gif

I was just outside lighting some charcoal and I noticed speckles of blue on the deck. Upon inspection, it was from my grill.

The grill is just over a year old.

Call Weber asap, Troy do you bank your coals against the side of the bowl, over time the porcelain will start to crack.

it's not my coal banking side.

from the looks of it, its where one of the grate holding straps is welded on the inside.

performer-chip.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">from the looks of it, its where one of the grate holding straps is welded on the inside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have noticed that, when the outer porcelain finish fails absent some sort of impact/abuse, it almost always occurs at a weldpoint for the grate straps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Walsh:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">from the looks of it, its where one of the grate holding straps is welded on the inside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have noticed that, when the outer porcelain finish fails absent some sort of impact/abuse, it almost always occurs at a weldpoint for the grate straps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When the metal is heated and wants to expand, the grill strap welded to the inside prevents that spot from expanding as much as the surrounding metal. The porcelain coating is forced to flex, and being relatively brittle (as compared to the steel)the circular section pops out. At least, that's my theory.

maybe it was that amazing coshell charcoal i've been using. the stuff is WICKEDLY awesome

burns super hot. super clean. and for a heck of a long time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Noe:
Call Weber asap, Troy do you bank your coals against the side of the bowl, over time the porcelain will start to crack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is this true? I just noticed on my Platinum with the side tables a sort of a swirl pattern, almost seems like it is cracking. Or as if it was scratched, a very weird pattern This grill is less than a year old. I am going to check it out again in the am. Started to rain,as I was covering the grill and noticed this. It is the side I usually bank the coals on. I will have to start using
another side. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but what is the warranty on the porcelain ? I have a 7-8 year old One Touch that has several chips in the bowl. Lid looks like new. Is it still covered under warranty ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back