Getting Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Silverman

TVWBB Pro
Hi,
Getting ready to use my brand new WSM this weekend. I have filled my head with reams and reams of great info from this forum.
I have but one simple question. What is the best(easiest) fuel for a newbie to use. Is it the good old Kingsford charcoal bricketts or should I go looking for hardwood lump charcoal?
Thanks
Al

Lump tends to burn hotter, and can be a bit more contrary than briquettes sometimes. Some like it better, though. You won't go wrong starting out with Kingsford, then transitioning to lump if you want. DON'T get Matchlight, though.

You'll be very happy with Kingsford. It is consistent and not too expensive. Use the Minion method and throw on some pieces of smoke wood. You'll be set.

I was watching a show today on the Food Network. Some lady was cooking stuff for her husband, and when he got home his job was to start the grill to cook her tequila lime chicken. Evidently, these folks have never used a grill before (actually, she did say it was his first time). So they show the fellow stuffing paper into the bottom of a chimney starter (so far so good) and then filling it with....kingsford MATCHLITE! Great googa mooga. The thing went up like an inferno! Then he poured more coals into the already lit chimney, and the edge of the matchlite bag caught on fire! Eeeesh. I think they need to stick to kitchen cooking. Some folks can't play with fire...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back