Getting Started with a Restoration - Genesis Gold

I'd suggest taking the manifold off and use a straight piece of coat hanger and ream the insides of the burner tubes - kinda like a pipe cleaner. It could be a spider web inside the burner tube restricting the gas flow. Another thing I recall was I opened the tank valve too fast and that will also restrict the gas flow. There is a safety feature that kicks in if the valve is opened too fast, the grill thinks it has fallen over. The grill will heat to around 250 but that's as high as it will go if that safety has kicked in.

Still a puzzle as to what's wrong with the Gold. I tried firing it up again, just because, and let it heat for quite a while. Got up to 375 but it was a struggle all the way which I know isn't right.

Going to take it back apart, do an extra thorough leak test and when that fails to uncover anything I'll be ordering a new regulator. Really need to get this sorted out, want it up and running for Memorial Day!

Lucked out -- the local Ace Hardware carried the correct part to replace the regulator. Swapped it out, hooked it back up, didn't find any leaks and ... success. Heats like a champ now. Got up to 500-550 just like the manual says in 10 minutes or so. Ready to haul it over to my Dad's to kick off the season next weekend!

I was so inspired I took the Silver A apart and started cleaning it up a bit. The prior owner wasn't real big on that apparently. Cleaned out the burners and put it back together, could definitely use some new tubes as there is more yellow than there should be. It solved the immediate problem (only the first couple holes were lit) though and I'll probably try and get through the season as is. Flavorizers are in OK shape and while the grills (porcelain coated) need a good cleaning they're otherwise fine. I am back in the grilling business.

Question:

I haven't reinstalled the warming rack on the Gold C because I haven't figured out whether I can clean it to my satisfaction. There is a hard, thus far impossible to remove coating of some combination of grease, rust and who knows what else on the steel. Anyone have suggestions as to how to clean them successfully? So far I've tried an SOS pad, which did nothing, scraping (nothing) and soaking one end of the rack overnight in vinegar, which kind of worked but which would require an awful lot of vinegar to actually get these things clean (since I have a second warm up rack and a condiment rack to do as well)

I'm always happy to hear one of these fixed and working properly.

I cleaned up some kettle grills that had years of accumulation by placing them in what amounts to a camp fire. The heat burns the greasy crud off. Then a light scrubbing to remove loose rust followed by a light coat of cooking oil to prevent further rust and they should be good to go.

Back