Getting better with wings

Mark R (LR)

TVWBB Super Fan
Sorry I don't have pics for this one, but I had a lot going on during this cook. I was giving the new Cajun Bandit door and compression latch AND the new CyberQ WiFi a trial run on the 22.5 with some ABT's just to have something cooking, while I did wings on the kettle. I've been inching closer and closer to my ideal wings (for my tastes), and tonight was the best I've ever done by far. There's still room for improvement, because I didn't have time last night for all of the prep work that I wanted to do. Last night I was trying unsuccessfully to get the CyberQ WiFi connected to my home network, so I didn't finish the last step on the wings.

Back to the wings. There's nothing really new here. I've been learning from you guys and gals and getting closer and closer to what I'm looking for. Tonight I nailed it. I seasoned the wings last night with salt, pepper, and Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom and put them on a wire rack in the fridge to dry overnight. The step that I skipped was that I bought whole wings, and I didn't cut them up into the wing section, the flat section, and the tip (to be discarded). Tonight, while tinkering with a trial run of the CyberQ, I fired up the kettle, got it to around 430, then added the wings indirect on GrillGrates (which brought it back down to around 400). I kept it pretty close to 400 for the entire cook, flipped the wings at 20 minutes and pulled them at 45 minutes. The skin was perfect, and the seasoning was just about right. I also made some homemade blue cheese dip and ranch dip last night, and that turned out great after giving it a night in the fridge for the flavors to come together. I normally try to split a 12-pack of wings into two meals, but I couldn't stop on these and finished them all off. I've gone back and forth on whether to sauce wings or stick with dry. I love OMS wings, but for my tastes, I think I prefer them dry and crisp for dipping. I'm not claiming credit or authorship for any of these techniques. I learned every step here and want to THANK you guru's for sharing your secrets! I'm pretty close on wings now, thanks to what I've learned here.

p.s. - the Cajun Bandit door & compression latch worked fantastic. Not one puff of smoke escaped my door for a change. The learning curve on the CyberQ is still steep. The first trial was a complete failure. I'm not sure whether to blame user error or ill-fitting parts. I figured out the problem too late to correct it (I pushed the fan as far as I could into the adapter but apparently didn't have the fan pushed far enough into it, and I couldn't do much about it with the charcoal going). I'll regroup and try again in the next day or two. LOVE the CB door & compression latch, and the jury is still out on the CyberQ.

Back