German or european gas go anywhere owners help.

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
One of the issues of the american gas go anywhere is under certain conditions, there is the possibility of flame blowout. A lot of years back I was working on this issue and then had to attend to other things. During this process I was thinking of a baffle plate under the burner tube and the lower vent holes. Well, much later, what do I see ? A baffle plate on the german sites. Sadly I still could not peruse this. But now I would like to. Since we cant get such a thing in the usa I would like to ask someone who has a gas ga to maybe take some pics and measurements fo me so I could build one. Metric is fine as I have dealt with metric my whole career. Mercedes tech and shop owner for 35 years. Much thanks if you can.
george

Ok, no responses so I did my own guessing and made a plate or baffle from a piece of metal from an old computer. Made a cardboard template and then cut it out. A but hard as I had no proper metal working tools except a dremel. Anyway I got it done and installed today and tested it. I think it worked rather well. Had some breezes today and I got no flame out or such at all. Its rough but so am I ! Pic is of template. Will take finished photo sunday.

Attachments

• 20220318_161012.jpg
    20220318_161012.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 18
Seems like a good idea. That looks like cardboard template. Do you have a pic of the baffle you made? Just curious as I have the charcoal version (No flameouts) How do you like the gas version?

Ok, here is a pic of the so called finished piece. It's not very refined but basically a proof of concept. After doing this, I think for my purposes, I will redesign it to be much simpler and easier to install but still accomplish what I need it to do.

Attachments

• 20220320_162259.jpg
    20220320_162259.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 18
Seems like a good idea. That looks like cardboard template. Do you have a pic of the baffle you made? Just curious as I have the charcoal version (No flameouts) How do you like the gas version?
Posted the pic. I think the gas ga is just fine for general cooking. In fire prone areas it is a must. I have used mine for simple stuff and was not disappointed. One thing to note is that the area furthest from the regulator is a bit hotter. No problem if you pay attention and rotate the food if necessary. Now with this mod I will cook on it more to see if it really made a differance.

Ok, here is a pic of the so called finished piece. It's not very refined but basically a proof of concept. After doing this, I think for my purposes, I will redesign it to be much simpler and easier to install but still accomplish what I need it to do.
What would you re-design? I think it looks perfect.

What would you re-design? I think it looks perfect.
For my purpose I would kinda design it upside down. Thus the outer pieces would be down as legs and it would just slide under the burner. Maybe at the ends just put a small groove or some such to lock it in. The long sides will still have to be crimped to give it some strength so it doesnt sag. Soon as I find a piece of suitable metal I will make it and if it works I'll post a pic.

For my purpose I would kinda design it upside down. Thus the outer pieces would be down as legs and it would just slide under the burner. Maybe at the ends just put a small groove or some such to lock it in. The long sides will still have to be crimped to give it some strength so it doesnt sag. Soon as I find a piece of suitable metal I will make it and if it works I'll post a pic.
What is the reason for reversing it? Do you want it more easily removable?

@George Curtis, that looks great and very close to a Zifa Grills version. Here's their product (https://zifagrills.com/en/collectio...edelstahl-schutzblech-f-weber-go-anywhere-gas):
ga_schutzblech_4_1024x1024.png
Here's the description using Google Translate:

"The stainless steel guard plate was developed to simplify cleaning of the aluminum rail underneath the burner.

The mudguard is simply placed on the aluminum rail of the grill to protect it from dirt.

It is made of 0.5mm V2A stainless steel and is therefore very durable and dishwasher safe."

@George Curtis, that looks great and very close to a Zifa Grills version. Here's their product (https://zifagrills.com/en/collectio...edelstahl-schutzblech-f-weber-go-anywhere-gas):
View attachment 47659
Here's the description using Google Translate:

"The stainless steel guard plate was developed to simplify cleaning of the aluminum rail underneath the burner.

The mudguard is simply placed on the aluminum rail of the grill to protect it from dirt.

It is made of 0.5mm V2A stainless steel and is therefore very durable and dishwasher safe."
I think you are confusing two things. The thing I built was what is there already, the whole piece or shield. What you are mentioning here is just a flat piece to protect the shield that comes with the grill in germany. As we cannot get that whole piece here in the usa, that is what i built. My piece is just from a piece of sheetmetal from an old computer tower. I have no idea how long it will last.

I think you are confusing two things. The thing I built was what is there already, the whole piece or shield. What you are mentioning here is just a flat piece to protect the shield that comes with the grill in germany. As we cannot get that whole piece here in the usa, that is what i built. My piece is just from a piece of sheetmetal from an old computer tower. I have no idea how long it will last.
Ah, yes, you are correct and I did confuse the two parts. I can see in the schematic the shield that comes with the export gas Go Anywhere.
GGA_ShieldSchematic.png

Ok, today I found a piece of scrap from my first baffle and though a bit less wider I thought it would be enough for proof of concept of the alternative design. This piece already had a crimp length wide so this adds strength and I didn't have to do it like the first one. Anyway took a bit to get it to fit and then test. I thought it worked well but still think it should be wider like the first one I made. I'm happy enough though so it will be cleaned up for use. So hope the pics help. It just slides under the burner tube and just snug enough to not slide around. No messing with holes and all that.

Attachments

• 20220326_173201.jpg
    20220326_173201.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220326_173348.jpg
    20220326_173348.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 9
Ok, today I found a piece of scrap from my first baffle and though a bit less wider I thought it would be enough for proof of concept of the alternative design. This piece already had a crimp length wide so this adds strength and I didn't have to do it like the first one. Anyway took a bit to get it to fit and then test. I thought it worked well but still think it should be wider like the first one I made. I'm happy enough though so it will be cleaned up for use. So hope the pics help. It just slides under the burner tube and just snug enough to not slide around. No messing with holes and all that.
Looks good, George. A nice, no fuss solution.

What keeps it in place? I think the either will work but I don't understand what you don't like about the first one.

What keeps it in place? I think the either will work but I don't understand what you don't like about the first one.
It's slightly wedged under the burner tube at the ends. So basically friction is holding it in. Please note the seam or crimp on one side. This stiffens the whole length so it touches the whole length. Nothing wrong with the original one but it does involve more work. The second one does not.

Back