German Kasseler

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone make German Kasseler? I had some at an Oktoberfest an really enjoyed it. What I had was brined, smoked, then grilled and served with an onion gravy. From what I have read, it looks very similar to Canadian Bacon. My plan is to use a whole loin, brine it, then cold smoke it. I am making it for an Oktoberfest party, so on the day of the party I will slice it, grill it, and then put it in a pan with the gravy to serve. Any spices that are traditionally used in the brine?

Gerry, I also love Kasseler, and I have made it a couple of times. HERE is a post I made about it that includes the recipe I based my attempt off of. It turned out very well, and was quite similar to the Kasseler I have eaten.

If you try it out, let us know how it goes, and especially how you think it compares to what you remember from Oktoberfest.

Cheers,
Rich

Gerry, I also love Kasseler, and I have made it a couple of times. HERE is a post I made about it that includes the recipe I based my attempt off of. It turned out very well, and was quite similar to the Kasseler I have eaten.

If you try it out, let us know how it goes, and especially how you think it compares to what you remember from Oktoberfest.

Cheers,
Rich
Duh after re-reading your post I totally missed where you linked that recipe.

Back