German BBQ????

Bryan,

As it turns out, we got invited to two last minute football parties today so the pork will be on the menu for tomorrow. Quick question on timing. How long or to what temp do you cook it before you add the kraut and then how long after. Your original recipe had it for a butt which I am sure takes longer.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Bob

Hey Bryan,

Do you usually make homemade sour kraut? I love kraut, but always buy canned or bagged. It looks like a lot of work to make it. Is it worth it?

-Mike

Mike,

If you haven't seen it already, there is a very long thread on making your own kraut. Here it is:

Sauerkraut

And your right, it does look like a lot of work but also looks very tasty.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
Bryan,

As it turns out, we got invited to two last minute football parties today so the pork will be on the menu for tomorrow. Quick question on timing. How long or to what temp do you cook it before you add the kraut and then how long after. Your original recipe had it for a butt which I am sure takes longer.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For like the roast I did today, you can start out with the kraut in the bottom of the pan, place the roast on top of the kraut so it get's a nice crispy fat cap, and good color. If using a Butt, give the butt about a 5 hr. head start before adding the kraut, then another 2-3 hrs to cook the kraut. Check the kraut after 2 hrs. incase it's getting too dark. Cook temps I do anywhere between 300-350 depending how much time/how fast you need to have it done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike N:
Hey Bryan,

Do you usually make homemade sour kraut? I love kraut, but always buy canned or bagged. It looks like a lot of work to make it. Is it worth it?

-Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I try and make it every year. It is alot of work, esp when doing it all by yourself. Yes I think it's worth it.

Brian,

Thanks, I was getting confused on the timing between the loin and the butt. Thanks for answering all of my incessant questions.

Bob

Do you always place a loin on at the same time as the kraut? Only time you stagger is when doing a butt? I won't be making my own kraut but can pick up some from the PA Dutch at Zern's market or the Reading Terminal.

Bryan - next season let me know when you are making kraut and I will help, as long as I get some once it's cured?

Back