Genisis Silver B changes next yr

James, I know I'd really like the Performer - especially for the gas ignition -- but I'm lacking about 10 inches of space.
icon_frown.gif
I'm still trying to do some re-arranging.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason L:

yes, i'm a weber premium dealer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jason

Wouldn't the price of an identical Weber grill, not on close-out sale, be the same at a specialty dealer, such as you, as at a HD, etc. ?

Thanks,

Paul

I'm thinking of eventually getting a Genesis Silver B but am now wondering if I should hurry and get this while they are still made in the U.S.

Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't worry about it. I trust that Weber will not allow a product on the market that doesn't meet their standards. The new Genesis is going to have about a 20% greater surface area for grilling with a proportinate increase in btus for the larger area. I think that's a real good move.

However, you probably should be able to get a pretty good deal on close out models as the end of Nov. approaches.

I'll trust Weber till they prove me wrong and they haven't for more than 20 years.

Paul

That is a really good point on close out deals. I am on the verge of letting my wife know we need another grill...WSM,SJP,22 1/2 weber kettle, and an old Brinkman Gas grill. I think it is time to retire the gasser and move fully to a weber home. I sure would like to get one at a cheaper price. All I need is the current $399 version, I think that is the Genisis B. It would be mine tomorrow if I could get it under $300. I'll guess I'll wait for sales.

The design of these is quite interesting. Wasn't it someone here on the BB that said Weber had pretty much closed its in-house design group and outsourced it to a Japanese firm that designed the Weber Q? From the looks of these, they seem very refined and stylish.

Regards,
Chris

as for the pictures, looks like Texas beat me to it! lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
Wouldn't the price of an identical Weber grill, not on close-out sale, be the same at a specialty dealer, such as you, as at a HD, etc. ?

Thanks,

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, the prices of IDENTICAL grills would be the same or within say $20.
MOST grills offered by specialty retailers are NOT the same as those offered by HD however.

why would a specialty retailer try and compete with HD and the traffic volume stores like them get?

specialty retailers survive because the webers they sell have higher quality components and additional features from the models sold in the box stores. (higher priced, but more bang for your buck over-all). Service and knowledge also help to set specialty retailers apart.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason L:
specialty retailers survive because the webers they sell have higher quality components and additional features from the models sold in the box stores. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please provide an example. Let's talk about a Genesis Silver B, just to pick one. You can buy it on Amazon with porcelain-steel grates and bars. HD sells it with PCI grates. The Weber "selected retailer" catalog that I've found at a local BBQ store and at an ACE Hardware shows it with SS grates and bars.

Are there other "higher quality components and additional features" that I'm not aware of? As far as I know, the base grill (cart, body, hood, burners, valves, etc.) are the same no matter where you buy. If there are different quality levels of these parts I would be very surprised.

Jason

If I had the option of a specialty dealer, and I don't because I live in a small community, I would purchase an equivalent Weber from them rather than the big box. I thought that was the case and that was how Weber somehow protected their dealers, large and small. I do like the service and knowledge you usually get from the independent dealer and I like to support them.

Paul

A local Weber dealer also told me they can not post below a certain price (MAP) - Minimum Advertised Price, but could work me a deal verbally (usually on the order of 10%-15% below MAP, and possibly more on something like a Summit or Ranch Kettle).

And even though this is SoCal, they are currently trying to blow out their grills to make more room for fireplaces. (Who uses fireplaces in San Diego?).

Anyhow, I may actually be buying there, since compared to Amazon (no tax, but additional shipping), I could stand to save $50-$100 and support a local dealer to boot. Don't get me wrong, I love Amazon, but for me it comes down to $$$, so the cheaper wins. Also, they come assembled.

I knew it! As soon as I see a new one I would want it. Dang! I just got my Silver C. Now I bet they do something special on the WSM too.

I know that this is the gas grill section, but I hope the new Performer will be great quality @ $100 less. I'm looking to get one.

At one time I looked into selling weber grills. I am not too smart but I can't imagine a specialty dealer getting rich selling weber at the markups they allow. My hats off to the dealer that can sell and make a living with the big boxes and online to comepete with. It cannot be easy for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Melman:
Please provide an example. Let's talk about a Genesis Silver B, just to pick one. You can buy it on Amazon with porcelain-steel grates and bars. HD sells it with PCI grates. The Weber "selected retailer" catalog that I've found at a local BBQ store and at an ACE Hardware shows it with SS grates and bars.

Are there other "higher quality components and additional features" that I'm not aware of? As far as I know, the base grill (cart, body, hood, burners, valves, etc.) are the same no matter where you buy. If there are different quality levels of these parts I would be very surprised. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are right to a point.
webers are great BBQs regardless of where they are purchased. valves are valves and burners are burners. but there are upgrades plus the fact that some of the models for box stores are made in china (this matters for some).

Silver B from Box Stores

Porcelain grates or PCI grates ($50 value - 3 and 5 year warranty)
Porcelain steel flavor bars ($50 value - 1 year warranty)
one flip up shelf, one condiment holder

Silver B Premium from specialty

SS 3/8" rods ($280 value - 7 year warranty)
SS flavor bars ($80 value - 5 year warranty)
two flip up shelves ($50 value)

once you inlcude free assembly which many shops provide, the extras are almost $250 for only $100 difference in price.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
At one time I looked into selling weber grills. I am not too smart but I can't imagine a specialty dealer getting rich selling weber at the markups they allow. My hats off to the dealer that can sell and make a living with the big boxes and online to comepete with. It cannot be easy for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you are quite right.
no one is getting rich selling BBQs, which is why you don't often see BBQ shops...just fireplace (or other product) dealers who sell BBQs unless you are in a major urban center.

Cheers!

Let say I wanted to make sure I was buying a "Premium" Weber. Are the part numbers different? If so, is there some pattern?

the model numbers are different from a regular gensis silver B and a premium genesis silver B.
not sure what the pattern is though.
best method is that if it has PCI or porcelain coated steel grates...it's not premium.
also...phone weber and ask for premium dealers in your neighbourhood.

Cheers!

I was in a local hardware store the other day (TrueValue?) and the salesman was telling an elderly couple that the Weber gas grill they sold was better than the Home Depot one because it used slightly thicker metal for all its parts. I was rather skeptical, but kept my mouth shut since I was only there to see if they had any WSM's on closeout.

Silver B from Box Stores

Porcelain grates or PCI grates ($50 value - 3 and 5 year warranty)
Porcelain steel flavor bars ($50 value - 1 year warranty)
one flip up shelf, one condiment holder

Silver B Premium from specialty

SS 3/8" rods ($280 value - 7 year warranty)
SS flavor bars ($80 value - 5 year warranty)
two flip up shelves ($50 value)

once you inlcude free assembly which many shops provide, the extras are almost $250 for only $100 difference in price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm looking at the replacement parts on weber.com and they have:

#9860 - porcelain grates $35 (set of 2)
#9869 - SS grates $55 (set of 2)
I think the HD-only PCI grates are about $80. (set of 2)
The "specialty retailer" catalog shows Silver models with SS grates, but I don't recall anything about them being $280 special super-secret grates. weber.com doesn't sell them. Amazon.com has "9930 One Stainless Steel Welded-Rod Cooking Grate" for $89.99. $180 for a pair. Is that it?

#9817 - porcelain bars $35
#9816 - SS bars $55
These are for the current models which have only 5 bars. I believe the prices you've quoted are for old grills like my all-American "Genesis 3" which has 13 bars (5 lower and 8 upper).

It's not really fair to look at replacement cost of these parts anyway. I mean, a Genesis built entirely from replacements (if that's even possible) would probably cost $2000!

I will have to look at a box next time I'm in HD, check the model number and country of origin. weber.com makes no distinction between "box store" and "specialty" models, or thinner or thicker cook boxes, etc.

The Genesis has really been simplified in recent years for easy assembly (stop-watch engineering), so I'm not sure free assembly is really worth that much.

I'll agree that $100 uplift for the specialty model seems fair. Not $250 however.

look, i'm not trying to stop people from buying from wherever they like, nor am i knocking weber (or HD etc), i'm just answering questions about differences between models. do your research if you like. you will find that products like weber, dewalt, john deer, etc, make their products with different specifications for sale by major box stores. that doesn't make them bad....but if a major box store is selling a brand much cheaper than independants, it's not just because of volume anymore. Box stores have the buying power to encourage manufacturers to produce products with different (cheaper) specs so that they can beat everyone up on price. does anyone advertise this?? of course not. but ask a john deer dealer...ask a dewalt dealer what they think about their products that you can buy from box stores if you don't believe me.

sorry for the rant...just feeling a bit on the defensive.

the difference in price in Webers is usually about $100....never $250
and the prices i quoted are Canadian funds - if you notice i'm from Canada.
the Weber website does not make any distinction between "premium" grills and regular grills, but the SS 3/8" rods (standard issue on a premium Genesis) in my 2006 Canadian dealer price list have a MSRP of $139.99 each/Can $

and although i would agree that assembly is no big deal, it is for many people (ie. the elderly) and then there's getting rid of all the cardboard.

Back