Genesis Silver B significant uneven heating

Joe Bemba

Hi there everyone, original owner trying to decide if this can be fixed or time to move on. I've been able to live with and manage the uneven heating for many years with the right side hotter than left but it's gotten worse to the point where the difference makes grilling a full grill not enjoyable.

I did a deep clean at the start of the season including all burners, flames appear even and proper, but issue persists.

Any guidance on how to fix or at least partially correct the issue is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Can you remove the grates and Flav bars and post a pic of the burners off, all 3 lit on high and all 3 on low.

Also what condition are the Flav bars?

I should add, I'm fairly sure it can be fixed, just trying to narrow down what might be wrong.

I think that it is normal for this to happen on these grills up to a point. My Genesis 1000 does it a little bit also, I usually switch whatever is on the extreme left and right when I flip food over to even it out. This has been your grill since day one and it sounds like you have done basic maintenance and cleaning. Ruling out the slight possibility that it's a problem with the manifold or the regulator, it leaves the burner tubes and flavorizer bars. I'm also going to assume you aren't running the original sets of those at this point?

The toast test. Buy a $1 loaf of basic sandwich bread and spread out the slices is rows covering the entire grill ant toast em up without touching anything. This will help quantify how uneven you are now and you can check the results of any changes to the grill.

The toast test.
For those interested: https://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2017/03/toast-test-visualizing-your-grills-hot-spots/

Joe, it sounds like you've already got a good idea of the heat difference from right to left. Have you ever replaced the burner tubes?

By the way, this is something Weber tried to address with the new G4 burner tubes introduced with Genesis II in 2017, with graduated burner hole sizes from one end to the other to equalize the temperature across the entire length of the tube. No, these burners are not available for older Genesis grills. :)

I had this trouble back when my original Genesis was a few years old. I was ready to trash it and buy a different grill. Turned out to be deposits on the inside of the orifices. Took the orifices out and cleaned them well. It was a Weber tech that alerted me to this. Thing is don't expect total perfection. On those long burners it's a little harder to get there. But, try the orifices. Also odds are what you think are clean burners may not actually be clean.

Wow, thanks for all the replies! ( and the chuckle @ young Frankenstein reference).

Still running original burner tubes, only cleaned from outside. flavorizer bars have been replaced several times over lifetime, last swap was 2 years ago and did not change heat issue.

Weather is crappy today so I'll try to post a pic of the flames later. But in the meantime is there a good reference video on how to clean inside tubes and/or replace them?

I have cleaned my burner tubes with a wire brush on the outside and also with water on the inside, it's not perfect but if there are any particles in there they get flushed out that way. Then I'll shoot compressed air through them for any last bits of stuff that might be in there, and to dry them out too. But agreed, if you can take a picture at night with the burners on high and low without the flavorizer bars on, you will get lots of input!

If you are still running original burners, you are probably getting close to needing new ones. You might want to simply replace them now which would either solve the problem or at least remove them as a possible cause of the problem. You can get aftermarket ones for significantly less money than Weber burners. I have had good luck with the aftermarket burners.

A good hard wire brushing followed up by close inspection of all the ports on the burners. After time they tend to "calcify" closed or smaller. Or they corrode to a point where they're overly large in spots. On a long burner like the real Genesis grills have they become even more important. So I use a really stiff wire brush like the kind used to knock down slag on a weld. Afterward I flush them out with something like this https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/028810-crc-brakleen-brake-parts-cleaner.html
Don't worry it leaves no residue. Evaporates quickly and really have had no side effects except for the slight "hump". Hump? What hump? :D Honestly just kidding. (About the hump) not about using the Cleaner. I have never found a brush that can get all the way through the tubes though. I usually follow with a good blow out with compressed air.

Back