Genesis Silver A 2005 - rust on bottom/side panel

BrianJCohen

I have a Genesis Silver A 2005 that has seen better days. This model has the two-door enclosed cabinet with solid (not wire) panels all around and on the bottom. On the right-hand side as you're facing the grill, the bottom and right panels of the cabinet have rusted enough that it won't support the rod/hinge for the door anymore.

I'm trying to figure out if I have any affordable options for rehabbing this, and if so, how much disassembly is going to be necessary. I'm worried that if I start taking it apart I'll go down a rabbit hole and never get it back together again. I'm also worried that I'll spend so much money on replacement parts that the whole exercise will be pointless.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

1656805173392.png

1656805196253.png

I tried, but there is no way to infer from your post if this grill is trash or treasure. If the rest of the grill is fine, you could spend a lot of time and effort on this particular problem before you were anywhere near the cost of a new grill.

I tried, but there is no way to infer from your post if this grill is trash or treasure. If the rest of the grill is fine, you could spend a lot of time and effort on this particular problem before you were anywhere near the cost of a new grill.
This is my old grill and has sentimental value to me. I already bought a new one. I'm just trying to figure out what the rehab of that rusted area would involve.

The floor pan will need to be replaced or at if not, you will need to add cross members across the front and back. Really not all that hard to do. Then you would want to figure or some kind of replacement for that bottom panel. The back, left and right sides are probably pretty rusted as well and I would simply ditch those and leave it as an open cart grill. I have done that many times on the grills that I rehab.

You are probably going to have to at least pull out the bottom floor pan and see what you have under it.

I did one a few years ago, and at the time you could still buy a new bottom for them. Hopefully, that is still the case. Unfortunately, these early 2000's grills are starting to fall off the support table. If you can get one, I would spend the money on that and then do repairs on the sides and back as needed. The bottom is integral to strengthening this whole grill, whereas the back and sides just hang on.

Bruce is absolutely right that the alternative would be to install horizontal frame tubes. This will work, but take a good bit of effort to then make a new bottom and work out the details for the door hinges and closer. It can defintely be done, but when you look at it all, if you can get a new bottom for less than $100 I think it makes more sense.

MINE BEFORE:
IMG_1033.jpg

AFTER with new piece and clean up:
IMG_1811.JPEG

Hey everyone. Made some progress today. I was able to get the bottom, back, and side panels off without much trouble, along with the remaining door that was still hanging on. All that is going to the scrap heap and going forward it will just be an "open cart". The frame appears to be in good shape. It's gonna need new burner tubes, igniter kit, flavorizer bars, grease tray and catch pan holder so my guess is I'll be in for around $100, maybe a little more.

In the later photos below you can see I'm getting the firebox cleaned up but there's more to do, and I'll do some heat-resistant Rustoleum on the outside and frame later on.

If anybody has any general suggestions I'm all ears. Two things in particular:

• Having some trouble getting all the carbon off the inside of the hood, even with a wire cup attachment to the angle grinder.
  • As you can see in the photos, the frame is bending downwards on the right-hand side (the control knobs side). This is from when a huge tree branch came down on it in a storm a couple years back. Any ideas for how to bend it back up?

Before:

PXL_20220703_141901460.jpg

Side panels off:

1656870408503.png

Bottom panel is off:

1656870435316.png

After some angle grinding and surface cleaning:

1656870481740.png

1656870492726.png

Attachments

• 1656870362678.png
    1656870362678.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Maybe try some of that biodegradable citrus strip stuff. But, maybe the best bet it is to take the angle grinder and wire cup brush to it. Then no chance of leaving any chemicals behind.

Maybe someone else has a better solution though.

The inside of the hood can be scraped with a razor scraper and then steel wool, that is how I have cleaned them to a nice new shine on the four or five I've done.

Fixing the frame is going to be interesting. I would just try bending it back. Removing the handle and basket by the control panel might be a pita.

Back