Genesis Silver – C side burner replacement valve & hose plus general restoration

Stuart Graham

Hello. I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I've been lurking a little bit and am very impressed with the forum and quality of posters! So, my mom has a Genesis Silver – C liquid propane grill (year 2000) that was used lightly for 2-3 years and hasn't been touched since. My plan is to start using it again. I recently spent some time cleaning it up and testing it out. I have never worked on a gas grill before and want to be sure I do what I should. When I tested it out, I initially had a leak with the regulator hose and have replaced it with the one listed below. My side burner hose and valve seem to be working fine, but I'm thinking it would be wise to replace them based only on their age. Unfortunately, it seems that part is no longer available and I'm not sure what the options are for replacing it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Stuart

DOZYANT Propane Regulator and Hose

Attachments

• 99.png
    99.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 101.png
    101.png
    714.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 10

Attachments

• 1.1.jpg
    1.1.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 11
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 14
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 14
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 15
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 12
A few last pics ...

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 6
You have a great start there. Many of your parts are still in good shape. Mostly only appear to need cleaning.
One thing I did not know was that the side burner had a bottom pan like that. I have 2 and neither one has the bottom pan like that and the both seem to have the hose going from the valve to burner rusting out. Yours hose looks pristine if that is the OEM.

However I did see you do not have the left top thermoset table top.

Yah, I would not worry about the gas hose to the side burner. Just test it for leaks with the soapy water test. That grill looks great as it is, but it is missing the left side thermoset table as Samuel noted. Is that just sitting off to the side some where? Those flavorizer bars are perfectly serviceable right now, but if you replace them in the future, find some 16 gauge stainless steel ones on Amazon. Don't go with 20 ga or 18ga and don't buy another set of the ceramic coated ones.

The only thing left to do is drop a big fat ribeye on there and enjoy.

You have a great start there. Many of your parts are still in good shape. Mostly only appear to need cleaning.
One thing I did not know was that the side burner had a bottom pan like that. I have 2 and neither one has the bottom pan like that and the both seem to have the hose going from the valve to burner rusting out. Yours hose looks pristine if that is the OEM.

However I did see you do not have the left top thermoset table top.
Thanks Samuel. Interesting about the bottom pan. Everything is OEM except the regulator hose I mentioned replacing above. The hose for the side burner looks good, but I'm trying to determine if I should be worried strictly because of its age (20+ years)?

I do have the left top table top. I just took it off for cleaning and haven't put it back on. See pic below.

Attachments

• IMG_0478.jpg
    IMG_0478.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 3
Yep, those hoses are never exposed to the sun and it looks and sounds like that grill was well stored for the last 18 years or so. I see older well used/neglected Weber grills with hoses that are still in good shape.

Yah, I would not worry about the gas hose to the side burner. Just test it for leaks with the soapy water test. That grill looks great as it is, but it is missing the left side thermoset table as Samuel noted. Is that just sitting off to the side some where? Those flavorizer bars are perfectly serviceable right now, but if you replace them in the future, find some 16 gauge stainless steel ones on Amazon. Don't go with 20 ga or 18ga and don't buy another set of the ceramic coated ones.

The only thing left to do is drop a big fat ribeye on there and enjoy.
Thanks Bruce. Very helpful. Yeah, I've tested with soapy water so I should be good then. Didn't know if that was something that should be automatically replaced due to age. If I did need to replace it though at some point, what's a good option?

Also, thanks for the info on the flavorizer bars. I'll be sure to go with the 16 ga when I replace them.

I replied below to Samuel on the left table top. Yeah, it's sitting to the side. I posted a pic below too.

Yeah, it looks like it's time for a run to the store for the ribeyes!

Yep, those hoses are never exposed to the sun and it looks and sounds like that grill was well stored for the last 18 years or so. I see older well used/neglected Weber grills with hoses that are still in good shape.
Yeah, the grill had a cover on it the whole time. Just stored outside under cover in the TX heat.

I believe the only way to get the hose assembly for the side burner is to buy the entire side burner assembly if you can even find it for sale. I am not sure if you could fab in a piece of bulk hose or not.

The good think about grills is everything on them is pretty much designed to handle grill heat, so TX heat probably isn't going to be an issue.

I believe the only way to get the hose assembly for the side burner is to buy the entire side burner assembly if you can even find it for sale. I am not sure if you could fab in a piece of bulk hose or not.

The good think about grills is everything on them is pretty much designed to handle grill heat, so TX heat probably isn't going to be an issue.
Thanks again Bruce. I'm glad I don't need to replace that hose assembly now. I was starting to suspect it might not be easy to replace.
Very true about the heat!

Yep you should be good to go. As for missing bottom housing that is definitely not Kosher
Yes I agree. I was going to restore my C, but I have been debating on eliminating the side burner all together. Even more so now that I have this information.

Yep you should be good to go. As for missing bottom housing that is definitely not Kosher
Are you sure the Silver C had that full enamelled pan like the 1000-3000 series. I have two Silver C’s and they only have a small stainless pan under just the burner.
Sorry, can’t post a pic as the kids are streaming and I can’t get enough bandwidth. 🙁

Here's the pics with everything put back together. Pretty sure this is exactly how it came except for the cover, SS grill grates, and regulator hose (just ordered a 3.5 ft hose since this one isn't quite long enough). Also matches the cover of the owner's manual that came with it.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0494.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 11
Are you sure the Silver C had that full enamelled pan like the 1000-3000 series. I have two Silver C’s and they only have a small stainless pan under just the burner.
Sorry, can’t post a pic as the kids are streaming and I can’t get enough bandwidth. 🙁
99.9% certain the full enamelled pan came with it. Very small chance my step-father would have swapped it out early on, but possible.

99.9% certain the full enamelled pan came with it. Very small chance my step-father would have swapped it out early on, but possible.
It is just strange though Stuart that Samuel and I both have two of them and they don’t have the black enamelled pan underneath. My 3000 does though. Maybe at some point they stopped putting them on the Silver C’s to save money.

Back