Genesis Platinum, is this the one we all hear about?

Could someone with fabrication/welding skills take a Stainless Steel Performer Kettle and build it into a cabinet Stainless grill frame like this? I think a SSP with a stainless cabinet would be cool. Obviously allowing for ventilation.

Last edited:
Well someone thought it was worth it as it is now sold. It sure seems like everyone has run the side burners with the lid down!
Of course someone thought that it was worth it. Where else can you get that much quality for less than $1500?

Is the frame on that stainless steel, or just painted silver?
The frame is stainless but the side and rear panels are not. Amazing grill though. This same era (04-05) Summit Platinum has an all stainless cart, including the side, but it isn't interchangeable with a Genesis and the firebox is trash.

If you're interested in a custom build for a kettle, the Summit model is the true "holy grail" cart. I was able to retrofit a Genesis into it with about $100 parts/labor

Wow $350 and already sold. I wonder if the buyer paid the asking price. I have two as well but only paid a fraction of that for both. One I converted into a table. The frame is great except the welds of these frame expansion pieces which hold the side burner and the table on the left side. These spot welds tend to fail on the SS frames. Not sure why.

Yep, those extensions do fail often. You can fix them fairly well by inserting a stainless screw that sits flush. I think they skimped a little on the welding, but it still beats those parts when made of regular steel. I don't believe I have seen one that wasn't rusted out and usually stuck to the end piece.

Yep, that is the holy grail Genesis frame. But keep in mind the back, sides and bottom of the cabinet are regular steel and most likely, they are rusted out bad on that grill.

20190901_092435.jpg

After you toss the cabinet, you can make it into an open cart and not worry about the rust any more.

20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (1).jpg

Yep, those extensions do fail often. You can fix them fairly well by inserting a stainless screw that sits flush. I think they skimped a little on the welding, but it still beats those parts when made of regular steel. I don't believe I have seen one that wasn't rusted out and usually stuck to the end piece.
Yah, I have had my hands on three of them and each of them had those welds broken on the extensions. Now that I have a welder, I hope to "fix" that problem when I redo my next one.

These are mine. The grill is a Frankengrill and consists of parts of at least 4 different grills. The firebox is the standard 5 burner box. The prep table is just the chassis of a Platinum with a solid wood counter top.

Attachments

• Platinum Grills.jpg
    Platinum Grills.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 35
These are mine. The grill is a Frankengrill and consists of parts of at least 4 different grills. The firebox is the standard 5 burner box. The prep table is just the chassis of a Platinum with a solid wood counter top.

I like the prep table. I converted an old frame into a workbench, and I might have another frame that I could use to make a prep table. Cool!

I have another old Genesis 3 frame which we use as outdoor work bench table. These old Weber frames are great as bench tables.

Back