Genesis Platinum C Rebuild

RichB NH

TVWBB Fan
So I picked myself up a 2005 Genesis Platinum C that had never been grilled on, all original components.

Turns out it was in a little tougher shape than I had hoped, the flip up tables have some scuffing and damage, and the lid end caps have more oxidation than I'd like.

But it was definitely never cooked on, cook box and all internals were new!

I tore it down and cleaned all the spider webs out, washed the frames etc...

the left side table had some sag, so I attempted to fix it and made it worse. Could someone give me an idea on how I am supposed to correct that? I've seen it mentioned here a few times, but never in detail.

Thanks!

in the meantime, here are some pictures first one is before

Attachments

• 118866100_2677627002553555_7909587645587344683_n.jpg
    118866100_2677627002553555_7909587645587344683_n.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20200918_183951.jpg
    20200918_183951.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200918_184058.jpg
    20200918_184058.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200918_184113.jpg
    20200918_184113.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200919_170558.jpg
    IMG_20200919_170558.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200919_170612.jpg
    IMG_20200919_170612.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200919_170647.jpg
    IMG_20200919_170647.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20200919_170655.jpg
    IMG_20200919_170655.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20200919_170558.jpg
    IMG_20200919_170558.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
So I picked myself up a 2005 Genesis Platinum C that had never been grilled on, all original components.

Turns out it was in a little tough shape than I had hoped, the flip up tables have some scuffing and damage, and the lid end caps have more oxidation than I'd like.

But it was definitely never cooked on, cook box and all internals were new!

I tore it down and cleaned all the spider webs out, washed the frames etc...

the left side table had some sag, so I attempted to fix it and make it worse. Could someone give me an idea on how I am supposed to correct that? I've seen it mentioned here a few times, but never in detail.

Thanks!

in the meantime, here are some pictures first one is before
Hi Rich, I'm on my second stainless "C". All have the same issues with the spot welds on the u-brackets.

I basically added a bolt next to the existing bolt on the other side of the joint.

I took the best u-bracket frame members and put them on the handle or table side of the frame. I drilled and tapped into the u-bracket on the loose one(s) on the inside of the frame and put them on the control side of the frame which is less likely to be used as a handle.

The sag was less noticeable and I have more confidence in the handle. Not perfect but better than before.

yeah I knew I screwed up, I saw pictures and thought someone drilled through the welds, Ill have to figure a way to fasten it all up again, it shouldn't be too hard, just frustrating

Thanks for the info!

Some pain in the neck issues not withstanding, you got yourself a really nice, needle in a haystack grill there! I can only suggest that you take it slow and see it through to a great completion(y). You will have a Platinum few would be able to match!:genesisplatinum:

When you get it working, I will be very interested to hear if it runs hot. Mine sure does, and I have heard others say that as well. There is also evidence of an unusual number of warped, bulged fireboxes on these Platinums. My guess is that the orifices may be slightly wider to ramp up the btu level. I haven't verified, so that could be way off!:unsure: Good luck and hang in there!

I've already sort of rushed through it, I regret not taking more time on the panels, and I scraped everything down, and sprayed it all with rust converter then hit it with the Massey Ferguson Grey. I would like to clean up the lid end caps, but there isn't a great match to the paint on these, is there?

Just my opinion but I think those SS hoods are fugly. I’d opt for a different color hood and black sides.

Just my opinion but I think those SS hoods are fugly. I’d opt for a different color hood and black sides.
Yeah, but then it wouldn't be a Platinum. Gotta admit, all that SS bling, when it's all shined up...it's impressive!

Wow, a SS Platinum in almost new condition. WOW.

It was a little more money and a little farther than I should have paid for it, or driven for it, especially since its "new" but was obviously stored outside for a long time.

I have blue, red and green lids to flip it out with. I am working on cleaning them up. I just don't have as much time as I would like. But I kind of like the "Stainless Steel" completed look.

Yeah, but then it wouldn't be a Platinum. Gotta admit, all that SS bling, when it's all shined up...it's impressive!

yeah it looks good, I should really clean up the end caps and try to further polish out some scratches in the stainless. I might try my DA polisher and some cutting compound, i'll have to watch some youtube videos first.

I was going to flip the tables to thermoset tables, leave the side burner off and use a thermoset table there as well, but it kind of seems disappointing to do so.

As for fixing the sagging end table, I am going to have to get creative since I totally blew the procedure. I have a couple of ideas and might use a couple more stainless screws threaded in to get it secure. I will also probably switch it to the Burner side as BPratt has suggested.

No real advice on the table(s). Since I have never seen one of these in the wild. But you found a unicorn there

does anyone have any spares from this grill they might be willing to part with? End Tables, Control panel, Wheels, or the Handles for the doors? Mine aren't in such great shape.

What about good replacements for the rubber feet on the table?

Attachments

• 20200918_184213.jpg
    20200918_184213.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200918_184221.jpg
    20200918_184221.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 20200923_070625.jpg
    20200923_070625.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 22
Those parts are tough to come by.

I figured it was a long shot, but worth an ask. I know the common thing to do is strip the cabinet and convert to a cart for rust prevention so I thought maybe some people would have some parts.

So is the VHT Charcoal grey the best match to this color lid? or is that mostly for the 300 series grills? I know even those are far from a perfect match.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich, The handles are common but made out of iron so finding a clean set is tough. The control panel is a weird grey coating over a standard control panel which is probably unique to that model.

Rich, I suggest you convert it to an open cabinet design. Finding decent replacement floor pans and sides is nearly impossible and new ones are way too expensive.

I can't suggest a specific color to redo the end caps, but keep in mind that a regular Silver or Gold control panel will fit that grill as well. But it would be black. IMO, that contrasts very well with the silver SS frame. Black end caps would be cool as well.

Bruce,

that was my initial thought, flip it to an open cabinet design, put a colored lid on it and then put thermoset tables on both flip up panels and in place of the left side and side burner. I was inspired by your SS frame grills as well as some of the other posts in the "Lego" build thread.

But I paid a fair amount of money getting the grill, and a bit of time cleaning and repairing the surface rust, Money into cans of that Massey Ferguson Paint, I kind of Like the look, and the bottom panel was still in Decent enough shape.

I also didn't want to deal with Stainless tubing, and non stainless threaded inserts, etc... I also couldn't find any stainless. I was tempted to buy aluminum square stock and paint it the Massey Ferguson grey, I really like the contrast, and it wouldn't rust on me, but again, the parts I have worked out fine.

I think when it starts to rust again I might consider it. I have another couple of the black panels that should fit, one in better shape than another, but again, I'd like to keep the look nearly the same for now.

Back