Genesis platinum C knob temperature

RichB NH

TVWBB Fan
I've got an all original genesis platinum C I picked up last year. Everything is unused, burners, gas valves, etc...

I cleaned it up and fixed rust from it being stored outside last year then put it away until yesterday. I lit it up (ignitor didn't work.. Ugh). But one thing I noticed, after leaving it on for maybe 20-30 minutes to burn off anything in there. The knobs for the gas valves got extremely hot and the valve knob rotation got a touch sticky almost, I don't recall if I checked them last year but they must have seemed fine otherwise I would have cleaned them

I kept looking underneath and the flame was where it was supposed to be. I didn't see any signs of trouble in that regard

Is this a symptom of an enclosed cabinet? I mean the knobs were hot enough I couldn't do much beyond shut them off.

Any ideas?

Yah, I don't think they should be getting that hot. Did you look to make sure there were no flames coming out of the cook box through the burner holes?
I have picked up several grills where the knobs were partially or fully melted. I assume it is something causing flames to exit the fire box through the burner holes and out and under the control panel. The knobs are pretty heat resistant, but they will eventually melt and even start on fire. A bad grease fire inside the grill will do the same thing but I assume that isn't your issue.

Yah, I don't think they should be getting that hot. Did you look to make sure there were no flames coming out of the cook box through the burner holes?
I have picked up several grills where the knobs were partially or fully melted. I assume it is something causing flames to exit the fire box through the burner holes and out and under the control panel. The knobs are pretty heat resistant, but they will eventually melt and even start on fire. A bad grease fire inside the grill will do the same thing but I assume that isn't your issue.
I checked more than once and saw nothing out of the ordinary, the knobs weren't discoloring or anything. Flames appeared to remain inside of the cook box. So I'm not sure.

No Grease fire or anything, I bought this last summer. It had been stored outside for sometime but never used. This was the first time I lit it off after tearing it down and cleaning/fixing the rusted spots.

Maybe I'll clean the gas valves or something. Just strange, I noticed on my older sIlver B that the knobs would get warm, but not like this. It's interesting how much shorter the stems of the knob handles are on the older grills to the Platinum Cs.

My only other thought was that it was very hot here yesterday and the sun had been beating down on the grill for a while, then I lit it, so maybe it was a coincidence that the combination of things increase the temperature pretty significantly, but I typically don't believe in those.

Yah, you are right. The valve stems are longer on the Genesis 1000 grills which probably helps a bit. You are also probably right that the sun and other factors might have contributed to the knobs heating up more than expected. Just keep an eye on it for possible issues developing.

You might want to remove the manifold and then clean and lube up the valves if they are stiff and sticking. I don't think that would do anything to solve the hot knobs issue however.

I trust you have looked inside the grill while it was on to see if there some issue with flames building up on the right side of the burners for some reason.

Yah, you are right. The valve stems are longer on the Genesis 1000 grills which probably helps a bit. You are also probably right that the sun and other factors might have contributed to the knobs heating up more than expected. Just keep an eye on it for possible issues developing.

You might want to remove the manifold and then clean and lube up the valves if they are stiff and sticking. I don't think that would do anything to solve the hot knobs issue however.

I trust you have looked inside the grill while it was on to see if there some issue with flames building up on the right side of the burners for some reason.
Ill take the grates and the flavor bars and check that out. i couldn't see anything by peaking around things, i also looked from underneath while it was lit and didn't see anything that caused me any concern.

The most likely thing is burners being dirty. If the "holes" are partially shut, or the venturi area is partially clogged this can happen. Pull the burners. Clean them well inside and out. Pay attention to the spider screens. Make sure they're opened and fully flowing. While you may not see visible flame coming backward (literally a "backfire") there may still be issues of the burners not being free flowing enough to prevent heat buildup backwards. I have seen this many times

Larry, you seem to drag the automotive theme into every post. Now we have grills back firing like a 71 Plymouth.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

I don't know a better way to describe it. I know exactly what the issue is I just don't have a better description

The most likely thing is burners being dirty. If the "holes" are partially shut, or the venturi area is partially clogged this can happen. Pull the burners. Clean them well inside and out. Pay attention to the spider screens. Make sure they're opened and fully flowing. While you may not see visible flame coming backward (literally a "backfire") there may still be issues of the burners not being free flowing enough to prevent heat buildup backwards. I have seen this many times

Thanks for the advice. Ill check that out. Im pretty sure I cleaned them out when I tore it all down. They're original but haven't ever been used or cooked on.

Rich, The fact that you say it hasn't been used for a long time lends a lot of credence to Larry's theory. One possibility is that an insect or host of insects have found a way inside a burner and set up shop. Even if you have "spider guards" in place, they are not fool proof.

Yeah im going to go out and check it here in a bit. It certainly makes sense that a clog could cause that type of issue.

burner tubes are clean as a can be. still shiny stainless inside. But working in the direct sun, on an all stainless grill.. holy cow is that sutff hot just from the sun. Guess I should run the experiment when the sun isn't beating down directly on the grill.

ill check the burners later without the heatshields on.

Last edited:

Back